Impossibly slow
JohnLombardi1

I am a new Fios customer and it seems that the "newness" has wore off already. The speeds lately have been impossibly slow and frustrating.  Long are the days when I was happy to have made the switch yet now I feel like that it is the same old service i once had. 

Where does it got wrong?

Nothing changed on my end and pingtest.com and multiple speedtest sites have concurred the erratic behavior which has been the norm lately.

What to do, what to do....

Any advice fiving gurus care to weigh in? I am all ears

0 Likes
Re: Impossibly slow
jdmaynard

It could be a miriad of issues, however, here are some steps to try.

1. (I know this is dumb) Power down your modem/router unplu the power and Cable coming from the outside (may be RJ-45 or Coax) and leave unplugged for 30 seconds. Plug back in and power on.

2. Check your DNS settings on your computer and router. Change to OPEN DNS' settings, or Google's. Open DNS  = Primary: 208.67.222.222 Secondary: 208.67.220.220  Google: Primary 8.8.8.8 Secondary 8.8.4.4

Check the speed using a wired connection - wireless could be unreliable and you want to rule that out first. Also, check the speed from another device if possible. 

Let me know what you find and I can help narrow things down.

0 Likes
Re: Impossibly slow
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@JohnLombardi wrote:

I am a new Fios customer and it seems that the "newness" has wore off already. The speeds lately have been impossibly slow and frustrating.  Long are the days when I was happy to have made the switch yet now I feel like that it is the same old service i once had. 

Where does it got wrong?

Nothing changed on my end and pingtest.com and multiple speedtest sites have concurred the erratic behavior which has been the norm lately.

What to do, what to do....

Any advice fiving gurus care to weigh in? I am all ears

Hi there John, 

Your description makes me believe you're connected wirelessly on this set up, and the way that it's behaving is as if it's a wireless interference problem.

If you're wireless and this is happening, is the device portable and is it stronger in one area of the house vs the other.  Is this a problem for one machine or all of them?  Any consistency in time of day or to individual websites, or is it random timing for when it happens, and is it affecting all web browsing?

0 Likes