In home agent, how to de-install optimize?
ejkkjh
Enthusiast - Level 2

I ran the in home agent, did the internet speed test, and then did the optimize for my computers. I have a new computer running windows 7. The next time I restarted it, computer took about 10 times as long to restart. I get the little running circle on the network icon in the start up area. One thing I really like and wanted with my new computer is a fast start-up, now it takes way too long. I have tried to find where the optimize for the in home agent is running, but no luck. It is not in the start up area. Can someone please tell me how to get rid of what the in home agent optimize did? Please…. Also it made no difference on my speeds, up or down, so it was no help….. Thank you

0 Likes
Re: In home agent, how to de-install optimize?
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Control panel, programs and features, find the VZ IHA and uninstall.

You don't need the IHA to run the optimizer

http://my.verizon.com/micro/speedoptimizer/fios/default.aspx

Interesting!!  I see the optimizer has been changed to support download speeds GREATER than 100mb

Hubrisnxs
Legend

Which parameters and settings does the Speed Optimizer modify?

1. TCP 1323 Extensions - This parameter enables enhancements to the TCP/IP protocol that provide improved performance over high speed connections.

2. TCP Receive Window - This parameter specifies the number of bytes a sender (the source you are downloading from) may transmit without receiving an acknowledgment. Modifying it determines the maximum size offered by the system.

3. MTU (Maximum Transmission Units) - The MTU defines the largest single unit of data that can be transmitted over your connection. The FiOS network requires an MTU of 1492 bytes.

If you want to REMOVE those changes then you have to Re-run Optimizer and you should see a notice that your system is already optimized. At the end of that notice, it will say you can return to the original settings, if you want by clicking on this link here. Click on the word here and follow the directions including turning your system off then on again.

Your original settings should now be restored.

FYI  These are normal settings that should be optimized to take full advantage of the speeds.  I would only go back to original settings if I noticed that it slowed down my pc for any reason or had any other adverse reactions. 

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

MTU (Maximum Transmission Units) - The MTU defines the largest single unit of data that can be transmitted over your connection. The FiOS network requires an MTU of 1492 bytes.

Can you prove that?

Most sources I've read indicate that 1492 is a DSL requirement and that FiOS, like cable, should have an MTU set to 1500.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@eljefe wrote:

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

MTU (Maximum Transmission Units) - The MTU defines the largest single unit of data that can be transmitted over your connection. The FiOS network requires an MTU of 1492 bytes.

Can you prove that?

Most sources I've read indicate that 1492 is a DSL requirement and that FiOS, like cable, should have an MTU set to 1500.

A MTU of 1492 is used for PPPoE connections.

A MTU of 1500 is used for DHCP connections.

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@Anti-Phish wrote:

@eljefe wrote:

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

Can you prove that?

A MTU of 1492 is used for PPPoE connections.

A MTU of 1500 is used for DHCP connections.

That is my understanding.

And if the Actiontec MIR24-WR is left to the default of DHCP and auto-MTU, it sets MTU to 1500.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@eljefe wrote:

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

Can you prove that?

that statement comes from The Verizon website.   That is verizon's stance, but technically speaking, 1492 is a mtu setting for dial up and pppoe, whereas 1500 is for straight lan connections.    

Hubrisnxs
Legend

speedguide.net has all the registry values and tweaks that should be done if you want to get advanced and get the absolute best performance out of it.    if you're a DIY'er you should be going there to get the right values.   the Verizon Optimizer serves a good general use purpose that meets a vast majority of user needs.   some people have advanced needs and that is where speedguide.net would come in.   IMHO

ejkkjh
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried a couple times to remove the optimize in the home agent.  There is nothing on mine to remove the optimize?  Is there another way to remove it?  When I start/reboot the computer it seems like it is running some kind of script, I get the little turning circle over the network icon in this start up tray, and nothing else will run.  As I said earlier it takes about 10 times longer for the computer to finish boot up since I did the optimize.  Thanks for your help....

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

you need to re-run the optimizer @ http://my.verizon.com/micro/speedoptimizer/fios/default.aspx

after you re-run it - it will THEN give you the link to remove the changes.  

you can't uninstall those changes any other way.

if you remove in home agent, that is fine that may speed up your computer, but if you're looking specifically to remove the optimized settings then you have to do the above.

if you don't find in home agent in your add/remove programs then you probably already have it deleted.   If you aren't sure and want to be extra sure, then you have to reinstall the In home agent so that it produces itself in your add/remove programs list and then you can remove it.