Inactive Coax port/Moving Router
drbozai
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello all:

So I have a recently built home, and I had coax ports run for the following rooms.

- Family Room

- Study

- Master Bed

- Basement

I initially had Fios installed.  But I got Dish for my basement room back in December.  Now that my Dish contract is up, I want to be able to move my router down there/and or have Fios service in my basement.

Now I know that Fios comes through the coax (FOR SURE) in the Family, Master Bed, and Study rooms.  

But, since the Dish tech connected the Dish service to the basement coax, how can I move that line back into the Fios service system.  

BTW: My coax panel from the wiring company from the builder is in the unfinished area and the ONT is outside my house.

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Re: Inactive Coax port/Moving Router
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

We can't help you much especially without a lot of pics.

But here is a generic answer.

You have one run of coax from ONT to first splitter.

Then run coax from each port of the splitter to where you have an STB or your router.

One comment: I wouldn't put rotuer in basement especially if you have two upper floors.

Probably won't get wireless connection to the farthest part of the upper floor.

0 Likes
Re: Inactive Coax port/Moving Router
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Follow the dish down wires to where they come into the house, presumably they will go ito where you say the coax panel is.  At that point the down dish wires will be connected to your basement coax line.  Disconnect that and connect the basement line back the coax panel which will already the other 3 coax lines connected to it.

I second the other comment about having the router in the basement - the worst place in the house for signal.

0 Likes