Inbound mail undeliverable
Scott_r1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Quite a few people are telling me that mail they send me is being returned as undeliverable, though it often works if resent two or three times.

I don't store my email online, so it's not a storage issue, and I have nothing added to the blocklist/filters online.

Has anyone else encountered this?

0 Likes
Re: Inbound mail undeliverable
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

What is the reason listed in the Undeliverable message they are getting? There should be a line that says why it couldn't be delivered.

0 Likes
Scott_r1
Enthusiast - Level 3

One of them was as follows (I don't know if the others were differently worded or not). I changed the name in the last line to "institution" from the sender's email domain (original was a company, not ISP).

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: RE: XXXXXXXXX Sent: 10/1/2009 9:32 AM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 

Scott on 10/1/2009 9:37 AM

The e-mail address could not be found. Perhaps the recipient moved to a different e-mail organization, or there was a mistake in the address. Check the address and try again.

<W51FMPC3M3.institution.intraxa #5.1.0> 

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

Without the full bounceback there's little I can tell you, but I'm sure you don't want to post that much personal info in a public forum. I would call Tech Support and see what they can find. You'll need to have a bounceback message available for them to investigate, and they may have to escalate to a separate department. Turn around times for issues like this, in my experience, has been anywhere from less than an hour to 2 days. Just depends on the cause of the issue.

If your email address is not registered in Verizon's servers correctly, only Verizon can fix it. (Not saying that this IS the issue, just that it could be.)

Don't forget that if the agent you get doesn't have a clue, you can always ask to speak to their supervisor.

0 Likes
Scott_r1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Unfortunately, that's about the extent of the headers I have.

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@Scott_r1 wrote:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: RE: XXXXXXXXX Sent: 10/1/2009 9:32 AM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 

Scott on 10/1/2009 9:37 AM

The e-mail address could not be found. Perhaps the recipient moved to a different e-mail organization, or there was a mistake in the address. Check the address and try again.

<W51FMPC3M3.institution.intraxa #5.1.0>

Where it says "The following recipient(s) could not be reached:@" that should be followed by your @verizon.net address. If it is spelled 100% correctly, then Verizon needs to fix your account. I'd check for typos first though. (Typos happen to everyone!)

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@Scott_r1 wrote:

Quite a few people are telling me that mail they send me is being returned as undeliverable, though it often works if resent two or three times.

I don't store my email online, so it's not a storage issue, and I have nothing added to the blocklist/filters online.

Has anyone else encountered this?

I had this problem for a while, it was completely unpredictable whether an email sent to me would arrive or be rejected with a 550 message "user unknown." The problem turned out to the be initial setup of my email account by Verizon did not completely fully, some email servers apparently knew me, others did not, and depending on the route the email took to me it would arrive or be rejected. Tough to diagnose initially because it was so erratic.

I went to the Verizon Direct forum at dslreports.com (you must register as a user there before you can post in the Verizon Direct forum, but there is no cost to register, and no one but you and the Verizon reps can see your post ) and reported my problem. It took a few days but eventually the Verizon rep there told me he had deleted and rebuilt my email account, and I have not had any problems like that since.

I recommend you try reporting the issue to the Verizon Direct forum (you can call tech support, but describing the problem over the phone is pretty difficult). It would be good if you could get the complete headers from a message that has been rejected to include in your post. Whomever is sending the message and getting the bounce should be able to view the headers in text form, save them,  and then send them to you.

Hope this helps. And if what I described is in fact your problem it will be easy for Verizon to fix once they understand it.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes