Re: Incoming :80
whiskeylover
Enthusiast - Level 3
Maybe so. But not the one I am using right now. Besides blocking port 80 makes no sense. As long as I'm not abusing the servicing, I should be able to host personal stuff on my end of the connection.
Hubrisnxs
Legend
oh, well that's cool.  I just remember you putting comcast in there, and I was almost 100% sure they blocked port 80 and several several several other ports in addition to bandwidth caps and the such.  it just sounded ridiculously restrictive to me. 
0 Likes
whiskeylover
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hmm... maybe you're right. But its open here in Mass. I moved here from Texas a couple years ago, and they had it open there too. I was always under the impression that they didn't block common ports. Maybe I'm just lucky to have lived in the areas where they don't block it Smiley Happy

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@whiskeylover wrote:

Hmm... maybe you're right. But its open here in Mass. I moved here from Texas a couple years ago, and they had it open there too. I was always under the impression that they didn't block common ports. Maybe I'm just lucky to have lived in the areas where they don't block it Smiley Happy

No port 80 no problem. Just use an alternate port. Many dynamic DNS service providers will provide a redirect. With a dynamic IP and no static IP, you would need to use a service like dyndns.org or no-ip.com. The service with a redirect is not free, but has a small annual charge along with the domain name registration.I have run dyndns with the entry in the verizon supplied router that updates the dns whenever my ip changes. A host name at dydndns is free, but if you want a domain registered with a port redirect then it will cost.

Oh, one reason for blocking port 80 is that many home users may attempt to run Microsoft Internet Information Server which at times can be less than secure. If you are running a server that gets owned and causes problems, it is one more headache for Verizon. Terms of Service say no servers period. If you were to run one and knew enough to use an alternate port, perhaps the server would be secure and less likely to cause problems. So in the end I don't think the inbound police would catch you if you used something else other then port 80. I have run SSH on port 22 and RDP on port 3389 and had no problem. Even ran a HTTP server on Laplink port 1547 that really threw people off.

Message Edited by prisaz on 08-21-2009 07:12 PM
0 Likes
whiskeylover
Enthusiast - Level 3

No port 80 no problem. Just use an alternate port. Many dynamic DNS service providers will ... blah blah blah...

I know what dynamic DNS is. I'm not a noob when it comes to networking. I do not understand why I should take the plunge when simple alternatives exists (staying with comcast.)

Oh, one reason for blocking port 80 is that many home users may attempt to run Microsoft Internet Information Server which at times can be less than secure.

That excuse is nothing short of lame. For every user attempting to run IIS, which can be less than secure, I assure you there are atleast 10 users who try to run apache on a linux based platform for legitimate reasons.

Message Edited by whiskeylover on 08-22-2009 02:04 AM
prisaz
Legend

@whiskeylover wrote:

No port 80 no problem. Just use an alternate port. Many dynamic DNS service providers will ... blah blah blah...

I know what dynamic DNS is. I'm not a noob when it comes to networking. I do not understand why I should take the plunge when simple alternatives exists (staying with comcast.)

Oh, one reason for blocking port 80 is that many home users may attempt to run Microsoft Internet Information Server which at times can be less than secure.

That excuse is nothing short of lame. For every user attempting to run IIS, which can be less than secure, I assure you there are atleast 10 users who try to run apache on a linux based platform for legitimate reasons.

Message Edited by whiskeylover on 08-22-2009 02:04 AM

No insult intended. I agree with you it is lame, but if everyone could do as they please with a FIOS residential account, why would anyone want a business account. I too have run Apache and it was what was running on port 1547. I by no means speak for Verizon so my lame excuse is just that, my lame excuse. Staying with Comcast and bandwidth caps is a choice you would need to make. How many HD movies can you watch on your Comcast Internet connection before they pull the plug or start to wine? I love my FIOS and what it provides, so if I really needed to run a server for "legitimate reasons" and could not deal with a port redirect I guess I would need to pay for a business class FIOS account. Good luck with your choices.

Message Edited by prisaz on 08-22-2009 02:43 PM
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Besides running server(s) on a Static IP, there is at least another reason.

#1 At http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/why-get-a-static-ip.html

they speak of less downtime for severs.

But that can also true of game clients too.

#2 http://www5.crosslink.net/product.cfm?id=56

Authentication for secure access to protected web sites.

#3 http://freeola.com/free-static-ip-address.php

Secure access to work or other remote networks.

^^