Re: Info on Deleting FTP Files from Personal Web Space
darling1

I, too, have been stuck on the telephone for an unconscionably long time, in a vain attempt to get all of the website files associated with my account deleted. I'm on the verge of deciding that the only way to resolve the problem is to cancel my account.

Instead, I am hoping a kind moderator will take pity on me, and arrange for someone to take care of this. Please and thank you.

0 Likes
Bri_Tech_Guy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, so much for the "you'll receive a call back in 24 to 48 hours."   Here I am just short of five days later with no follow-up whatsoever.

This is simply unacceptable.

0 Likes
Bri_Tech_Guy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, 15 days and never a call back.   Bigger problems have ensued in that my company's website has now been knocked straight out of Google Search Results because the entire site is duplicated on two different web hosts.

I certainly hope that someone is ready to take care of this, immediately, when I call tomorrow.  This has now reached the point of infuriating incompetence.  Somebody, please give me a hand in wiping my files since I cannot do it myself!

0 Likes
katzper
Enthusiast - Level 2

Advice -- vary your new site so Google will not reject it. The chances of quick verizon response is very very small

0 Likes
Bri_Tech_Guy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Katzper,

While I appreciate the advice, this is a website for a business so varying it enough so that Google would not believe it is a duplicate would pretty much mean redoing everything, including the page names, etc.   That's something I do not have the time to undertake, as I like my site as it is.

After spending approximately an hour on the phone this morning and being handed from one tech support rep to a second one, I am offering the following advice to those caught in this particular "circle of hell" of getting files removed from Verizon Personal Web Space (PWS):

To All Who Need Files Deleted From PWS That Were Created Via FTP Transfer:

1. Do call Verizon High Speed Internet Tech Support at 1-800-VERIZON (1-800-837-4966)
  2. Expect that the Technical Support Representative may not be familiar with the issue you are calling about, but they may be.  In any case, be polite as this is not their fault.
  3. If the representative is not familiar with the issue, do tell them that you already know that this issue must ultimately be resolved by the Operations Support Center and that all you are asking for is that a ticket be created to delete all files from your Verizon PWS.
  4. Make sure to state, and ask that they note in the session notes, that you clearly understand that the deleted files are unrecoverable/cannot be restored under any circumstances once they are removed.  I say this because during today's conversations I was told that my previous request was put "on hold" because the prior representative had not specifically covered this information and they had been unable to reach me afterward to confirm that I knew it.
  5. Specifically request an e-mail or phone verification that the deletion of the PWS files has been completed.
  6. Expect that the deletion will take between 24 to 48 hours to actually occur.
  7. Be prepared to call back and make the same request again if it does not occur.

I am honestly hoping that this will be the end of this seemingly endless saga.   You can be certain that I will report back if it is not.

I still cannot believe it has taken this much time and effort to have someone delete files that I created, whose content I own, and that I have directly requested be deleted.

Brian

Bri_Tech_Guy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello All,

I did want to report back that my PWS has, finally, been wiped clean.   I really think that the key in the last set of instructions is making sure that you have acknowledged that the files to be deleted cannot be restored/recovered under any circumstances.

My files were removed within several hours of the initial call to tech support on the same day.   I also received a phone call telling me that the files had been removed, which I verified shortly afterward.

Good luck to all who still need to get this done.  I hope your experiences will be the same as my last one, not the same as my months-long saga.

Brian

mukroc2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Like others here, I have spent over a week trying to get an answer from verizon about this.  I will spare you the sordid details of my experience, but needless to say, it is amazing that no one can give you an answer.  On my own, I finally figured out how to do it today.  I should point out that the website I was trying to remove is through the church I belong to, and it is a business account, and the My Verizon page for business accounts are a little different from a residential account, so this may not be the exact way to do it if you don't have a business account.  I have explained below how I think you would do it on a residential account.

Anyways, this is what I did.  I opened the My Account link in the top right corner of the page.  I then opened the link Personal Web Space on the left hand side of the page.  I then selected the link Manage Your Files.  This opened up a folder that allowed me to select and delete all of the files I had uploaded via ftp.  After numerous hours on the phone with Verizon, it took me about 5 minutes to do this. 

I also went into my personal Verizon account to try to do the same thing.  I don't have a website on my personal account, but after playing around for a while, it looks like this is how you would delete the files on a residential/personal site.  There may be a quicker way to navigate to this, but I couldn't find it!!!   Under Account, select Account Overview.Scrool to the bottom of page and under Support-Internet, select Account Tools.   Scroll again to the bottom of page, and on the right hand side under My Account select Personal Webspace.  Under the Welcome Back section on the right, select Manage My Personal Web Site.  In there you will find a link to delete web space.

Hopefully someone will find this helpful, and they won't have to spend hours on the phone with Verizon like many of us already have!!!!!

fbhare

I'm still waiting for tech support on this as well.  I'm not even going to get into all the redirected phone calls and chat sessions I have endured.  I value my own time at $50/hr.  Verizon has now used over $200 worth.  There is still no response from Verizon as to why deleting the files is so hard.  Are the customers that perishable?

The only thing keeping me with Verizon still is the lack of good alternatives in my area.

0 Likes
Tedm2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well now it is February 2012.  Last September I put some messages here on the problem of my website.  Jaime Lee or some other Administrator, were going to take care of this problem.  I can not edit my website because of the problem that we discussed back then. Since it was edited via FTP.  I asked that Verizon either let me edit my site or I asked that you take my website down completely.  I would prefer that it be taken down completely.  There is some personal information there that I put on my website that a person would like me to take off. But I cannot edit the site.  I am now asking again that you kindly remove my website completely I do understand that when you delete all the files on my personal web site, that they are unrecoverable.  That will be fine since I have them backed up on my computer. 

I understand that some others had the same problem and that you accommodated them by deleting their personal web site.

My site is http://mysite.verizon.net/{edited for privacy}/ 

Thank You

Sincerely

0 Likes
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Tedm, 

I'm sorry you are having difficulty. An agent with access to your account will reach out to you directly by email, private message in the Forums and/or the billing telephone number on your Verizon account for more information or to help you resolve your issue.

0 Likes