Re: Info on Deleting FTP Files from Personal Web Space
Tedm2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Mukroc:

That is for adding or deleting Web Space. This is not for deleting web sites. There is a difference.  I thought you had found the secret but alas,  it wasnt it. Thanks for trying though. Smiley Happy

Tedm 

0 Likes
VerEyesOn1
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you created your site under a sub-account as I did, and if you want your entire site taken down (i.e., don't need to manage individual files) and are still having problems, the below procedure should do the trick.  Took about 3 minutes total to figure out on my own and remove my sites (it ain't rocket science):

1. Login to account.

2. On the toolbar at top, drill down to Account >> Account Profile >> your relevant profile (click on it).

3. In your profile, scroll down to sub accounts.

4. Click Manage Sub-account.  You should now be in the Verizon/Yahoo Account & Billing page.  Here is where you can manage/delete each sub account (including its associated Web Space) as desired.

5. After deletion, try accessing via browser the mysite.verizon.net/ URL you were using for your website.  You should get a an error (423 locked).  Your site is now down, permanently.

Once deleted, all files associated with that sub account/web space should be purged -- if not immediately, then the next time Verizon does its routine system house cleaning.

NB (duh):  If you created your site using a different method (e.g., not a sub-account, extra $pace, business account), the above may not work for you, as Verizon may have stored your files on a different machine/server/location, which may require additional/other steps (or even their personal attention to your specific case).

CDobyns
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've read through most of these postings regarding the change in the functionality of FTP, as a means for accessing and/or deleting files from a customer's Personal Web Space, and both the original decision and the subsequent process that only allows customers to delete files from their Personal Web Space, seems totally unsatisfactory.

I've come to the conclusion that maybe Verizon customers should consider banding together and engaging in a little social activism and try to organize an Internet-based petition, to try to get this decision from back in August reversed.  This effort at social activism was recently effective both in getting Bank of America  to reverse their ill-advised $5 debit card fee, and even more recently in getting Verizon to reverse their even more ill-advised $2 "convenience fee", for customers who pay their bills online directly through Verizon’s web interface.  Since reversing this decision is likely a virtually no-expense programming change to unblock the prior FTP account access, I think we should go for it.

To that end, I've already staged an online petition for others to review and sign.  Please consider forwarding this link anyone else who you believe might be inclined to endorse this petition request.   Thanks!

MRJenkins
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank-you for putting the petition together.  I've signed it.  I hope many others do as well.  If Verizon is going to provide personal web space as part of the Internet service, this web space should be usable with any web site construction tool that I want to use.  SiteBuilder is extremly limited and does not meet my needs.  I don't understand why Verizon has removed this capability that costs them virtually nothing, yet benefits their customers greatly.

VerEyesOn1
Enthusiast - Level 2

@MRJenkins wrote:

I don't understand why Verizon has removed this capability that costs them virtually nothing, yet benefits their customers greatly.

So they can charge for the same service that used to be free.  That's par for the course these days; you don't just pay the same and get less, you pay more and get less.  They jacked up my internet service 3 bucks and then took away FTP access.

wickedfish1
Enthusiast - Level 3

The fact that this is still a problem for me and others really speaks to Verizon's lack of customer support. Combine that with the "creative" marketing , incomprehensible support system, and layers of employees who can't actually help customers with anything, and it's enought to drive you nuts.

My FTP created site is still there.....I can't edit it....delete it.....save it  or migrate it. It's like a hostage situation....

AND THEY CONTINUE TO ADVERTISE LOWER PRICES THAN THEY GIVE TO LONG TERM CUSTOMERS.

0 Likes
dhosier768

4. Click Manage Sub-account.  You should now be in the Verizon/Yahoo Account & Billing page.  Here is where you can manage/delete each sub account (including its associated Web Space) as desired.

I don't have any "Manage Sub-account" button or menu to click. When I click on the "Change" button for the sub-account with the personal web space, my only options are

This sub-account has administrative rights.
  This sub-account has Verizon .net email address.
  This sub-account can access FiOS TV Online.

The only way I can see to get rid of the web space is to delete the entire sub-account. This would delete my email address that I use for everything.

It may come to that, but for now, I'm stuck with the outdated version of my website still there.
0 Likes
foff6671

Yeah, very crappy situation that I can't delete old files to free up some space for myself, I don't want to delete everything so I'm kinda screwed it seems, I've got about 400mb of stuff, about 1/2 of which I'd like to delete but can't even access, pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

0 Likes
VZ_Dwayzo
Enthusiast - Level 3

Call into the call center, and ask them to have OSC delete the files for you. Shouldnt take them more then 5 min or so.

0 Likes
cowseatmaize
I hope I hit the right reply button, first time poster. The fact of MY matter is I don't care about a web site, I just want to upload and occasional photo for online auctions, forums etc.. The whole website builder thing is a pain. I pay for the 10MB, why it it so difficult? I don't want to open a photopail (ovoid the ® usage) to get something I already pay for.
0 Likes