Insanity of upgrade process
mencik
Enthusiast - Level 1

I recently upgraded from the free FIOS WiFi router to the Quantum Gateway. Since I wasn't convinced it would be worth it, I opted for renting at first. Now after about 6 weeks, I went online to upgrade to purchase. According to the site, two different chat representatives and calling for help, I have to return this brand new router (6 weeks old) and exchange it for another brand new router. This in addition to a shipping fee which is noted at $5.99 on the upgrade page, but is billed for $9.99 instead due to website errors. Screenshot below: Note the $5.99 rate in the grey box in the center, vs. the $9.99 charge in the "Your Cart" section.

Does Verizon understand what a pain in the rear it is to have to swap out the router and reconnect all the wireless devices with a new password? Apprently they all understand, but nobody has any authority to simply charge me the $99.99 fee for purchase and remove the $6.99/month rental from my bill. I haven't even asked for credit for the rental, though that would be nice. I just want to avoid creating work for Verizon shipping and receiving on both ends of the transaction, and avoid the hassle of swapping the router and setting up all my equipment again. everyone just tells me that the policies and procedures cannot have exceptions. 

Apparently Verizon is a user hostile company, or is getting kickbacks from UPS on the shipping. There is not a policy that can't be changed. Why can't common sense prevail here?

0 Likes
Re: Insanity of upgrade process
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can change the SSID and password on the new router to match the old one.  That way, you don't have to change any settings on your devices.

In fact, if you haven't changed your SSID and password from the default, I suggest you do that.  You can select much easier to remember values for each.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
Re: Insanity of upgrade process
mencik
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yeah, I know I can do that, but I shouldn't have to. Plus, when (not if) the factory settings need to be rest due to some lockup, I have to go through the SSID and password change yet again.

There is no logical reason why they can't just charge me the purchase price and drop the rental fee and we all move on.

0 Likes