Install Requirements FIOS Internet: Why Software?
brradebaugh

I have just ordered FIOS and need to know if:  FIOS Internet setup is compatible with Vista, and what software is installed??  I wish to setup access to the internet just as I have it now with Comcast.  There is no software requirement just network discovery and DHCP and Router setup.

Current router and Comcast requirements:

No login

Account name is required

Currently my IP address is obtained dynamically.  Is Verizon FIOS Internet dynamic or static?

It would seem to me that if the Router is configured with the new Verizon information, then there should be no need for any software to be installed.  I am asking as the installation demo refers to a software installation requirement and also is referenced elsewhere requiring up to 100 mb.  Can this be done without software???

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Install Requirements FIOS Internet: Why Software?
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
All the computers will work once they are plugged into the router or setup for wireless. The installer runs his wizard just to set up the primary account. After that is done you can delete it. Unless you are not going to use the Verizon email then I guess you don't need it then.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
JohnA
Enthusiast - Level 3

No "software" per se needs to be run. The installer can set it up with his laptop. The connection is dynamic DHCP, and mac address bound to the first mac address on your end. You can log in to the router and release the Public IP, if you're changing the mac bound piece of equipment (router).

You may need to run  a fix for Vista, if your upload is not up to speed (MS problem).

0 Likes
brradebaugh

When you say "...no software per se" do you mean that the installer will be setting the router up via web browser on his laptop?  So it sounds like all that the installer will need to do is setup the router settings, hopefully to match my current home network settings, and then my task will be to change my email settings (I use Outlook) to authenticate to Verizon rather than Comcast, correct?

Lastly...  What is the MS Vista fix that I may need to do?

Thanks John!!

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
The installer will run his Tech Wizard on the main computer. It will test your computer and configure your computer and take you to the Fios activation screen so that you can pick a primary email address. When this is finished it will leave a few icons on the desktop which you can delete if you don't want them. Also if you go to add/remove programs you can remove the Verizon service point and toolbar.
0 Likes
brradebaugh

Is this required?  I do not want anything installed on my computer and do not want to clean up any junk.  Once the router is configured and my PC's are configured for DHCP, why is anything else necessary?  Then I can log into my account and setup my email accounts and configure Outlook on my individual computers.  Do they force the Tech Wizard or is it just designed to make their setup easier?

Once the Tech Wizard is run on the main computer, will my other computers have access to the internet and etc. or will they require the Tech Wizard as well?

If they do force the Tech Wizard, then will I have access to the wizard for my other PC's?

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
All the computers will work once they are plugged into the router or setup for wireless. The installer runs his wizard just to set up the primary account. After that is done you can delete it. Unless you are not going to use the Verizon email then I guess you don't need it then.
0 Likes
New_User1

Can I configure the wirless router and block mac address or the set time usage for a mac address?

0 Likes