Install soon...what to do to use my own router?
vzuser14

I'm having fios installed next week, and when I ordered my plan online, I chose the "I have my own compatible router" option (I don't obviously, I just figured why pay for one when I plan to get rid of it).  My plan was to talk to the tech when he comes, and make sure my own router gets plugged in to the system and used.  I've read online that some people who already have fios make a phone call to cust. svc. and have them enable ethernet on some device, and then they can use their own router.

Does my plan sound doable?  Will the tech help me out and let me use my own router?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Install soon...what to do to use my own router?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have Verizon STBs, it is best to use G1100 router as primary.

There are specific ports that are programmed in to allow all of the functions.

Yes, you can hook your router to a lan port and run all of your devices from it.

But if you try and use FIOS app to access DVR, you may have issues as STB and devices will be on a different subnet.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

@s8200 wrote:

I'm having fios installed next week, and when I ordered my plan online, I chose the "I have my own compatible router" option (I don't obviously, I just figured why pay for one when I plan to get rid of it).  My plan was to talk to the tech when he comes, and make sure my own router gets plugged in to the system and used.  I've read online that some people who already have fios make a phone call to cust. svc. and have them enable ethernet on some device, and then they can use their own router.

Does my plan sound doable?  Will the tech help me out and let me use my own router?

Just purchase a decent router with dual band (2.4 & 5 MHz) for the WiFi. 

A good ac router would be best. However you can buy a cheaper model router via looking on line or going to Best Buy or amazon.

once you have it, the tech just powers it up and gets dhcp from their service.

then you are good to go.

a point to ponder is Verizon does not have the ability to support routers outside of their own brand. So your support will end at the ont and not into your home.

Good Luck

vzuser14

Thanks for the reply.  I actually have a good router now l, that's why I want to keep it.  I have my wireless networks, DHCP tables, port forwarding already setup.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@s8200 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  I actually have a good router now l, that's why I want to keep it.  I have my wireless networks, DHCP tables, port forwarding already setup.

No most don’t care. However in other online forums customers state that the techs often times set up and test your service with a Verizon router. They then take that away. However you must first make sure the dhcp is released from that Test Verizon router. Otherwise you will have to call in to have it released or wait 2 hours for the lease to expire. Or make sure the installer stays to make sure it is released and let him see you connect the ethernet from the ont to your own router. If it gets an address your good to go. If not let the tech call in and have his office release it.

the tech I had was computer stupid but he did stay and call in for the release. He left after I was up and running. I did however tip him very well for his service, and I helped him run ethernet and do inside connections. 

vzuser121
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, install is done, but unfortunately he set me up with the G1100 router (wasn't too tech savvy).  He was saying "Oh if you want to use your own router, just plug it into one of the LAN ports on the VZ router"... but I don't think this is what I want to do.  He also said something about the G1100 being necessary for the guide on the TV??...is this correct?

Right now there's cat5 from the ONT to the WAN port on the G1100, but also coax from the ONT into a splitter, one going to the G1100 and the other to my TV.  Also a phone line into the ONT.

So what do I need to do here to use my Netgear router?  Can I just plug it into one of the LAN ports?  I wanted to keep all my WiFi stuff intact and not have to reconnect every device to the G1100.  I thought it was possible to get rid of the G1100 altogether.

Thanks.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

What you do is take your own router and plug it into the available lan port on the Verizon quantum gateway g1100 and then enter into your personal router via log in and select access point mode. After that is done you will have fios getting internet, tv and phone and you then can use the WiFi from your supplied router or just use it from the g1100. However a personal owned router normally has better WiFi if dual or tru band and your owners manual will explain how to set it up.

it really is easy to do 

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have Verizon STBs, it is best to use G1100 router as primary.

There are specific ports that are programmed in to allow all of the functions.

Yes, you can hook your router to a lan port and run all of your devices from it.

But if you try and use FIOS app to access DVR, you may have issues as STB and devices will be on a different subnet.

vzuser121
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just to update, I did get it working.  I plugged ethernet from the ONT to the WAN on my netgear.  Then another cable from the WAN on the G1100 to my netgear LAN port.  Guide and on-demand work fine and I have wireless thru my Netgear.

Thanks a lot for the help.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Congrats.

You may also want to try remote DVR access via app as well as using it as a remote and on demand  (if you desire to use these functions).

jonjones1
Legend

@vzuser12 wrote:

Just to update, I did get it working.  I plugged ethernet from the ONT to the WAN on my netgear.  Then another cable from the WAN on the G1100 to my netgear LAN port.  Guide and on-demand work fine and I have wireless thru my Netgear.

Thanks a lot for the help.

Just like I said. Actually you also did another step. But it works and that is all that matters. 😀