Installer removed the splitter at the main box
ArunG

I have five coax cables from each room connected to the main feed (whether cable TV or FiOS) through a splitter. After FiOS was installed, I checked the main box and the splitter is gone. The installer connected FiOS coax to one line and the remaining 4 connectors are just hanging in there. Any idea why? I don't have any other service than FiOS.

Thanks,

Arun

0 Likes
Re: Installer removed the splitter at the main box
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

ArunG wrote:

I have five coax cables from each room connected to the main feed (whether cable TV or FiOS) through a splitter. After FiOS was installed, I checked the main box and the splitter is gone. The installer connected FiOS coax to one line and the remaining 4 connectors are just hanging in there. Any idea why? ...

First, tell us about your service.  Do you have FiOS TV, Internet, etc.?  The wiring provided during an install depends on the services being supplied.   Of course it's very easy to add back a FiOS-capable splitter to your home network, but in order to offer suggestions we (the volunteer users who populate this forum) cannot proceed without knowledge of your specific details.

If you have more than a single service, the wiring will be adjusted to provide all services.  So, whadja get? 

0 Likes
ArunG

I have FiOS internet, TV and phone. I know that its easy to add splitter but I will have to buy one. The installer took my existing splitter with him...

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

So how is your service even working?

If you have only one STB, you still need at least a 1x2 splitter.

1 connection to the ONT

1 Connection to the STB.

1 Connection to the router.

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

ArunG wrote:

I have FiOS internet, TV and phone ... The installer took my existing splitter with him...

For each TV (and related STB/DVR) you must have a separate coax running to the ONT.  However since the typical ONT only has a single coax socket, a splitter must be used to accommodate more than a single coax cable.

The router will also require a separate coax feed.  Therefore and depending upon how many STB/DVR devices you have, there must be a multi-port splitter somewhere in the network where all of the coax cables are combined and connected to the ONT coax port.  The install tech may have removed the original splitter, but he or she replaced it with another FiOS-compatible splitter somewhere in the wiring.

Since you have not yet supplied specific details on your wiring arrangements and range of equipment in use, I'm still reduced to speculating on your precise configuration.  If you decide to offer more information, there will probably be more suggestions and explanations.

ArunG

When I say there is no splitter, there is no splitter. I know all about coax/network wiring and was watching the entire installation when the installer was doing the wiring. All my other rooms are without any signal. Here is a current wiring diagram:

ONT->Coax->Main Box->Basement ->Splitter->Actiontec router

->Living room->HD DVR

Bedroom1 unconnected

Bedroom2 unconnected

Bedroom3 unconnected

Bedroom 4 unconnected

The basement splitter was installed by me and Verizon installer just used the same. All other coax cables in main box are lying unconnected. 

Before Verizon, when I had Comcast, the wiring looked like this:

ONT->Coax->Main Box->Splitter->Basement ->Splitter->Actiontec router

->Living room->HD DVR

->Bedroom1 unconnected

->Bedroom2 unconnected

->Bedroom3 unconnected

->Bedroom 4 unconnected

As you can see that your theory that Verizon installer must have installed a splitter is wrong.

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

Not to be argumentative, but your diagram definitely shows a splitter, which is the point both I and AntiPhish have been trying to make.  The fact that the splitter was in place prior to the FiOS install is beside the point.  It's required for FiOS.

Further your Comcast diagram shows an ONT, or optical network terminal.  Since Comcast doesn't use optical cable, I don't know how you could have had this device prior to the FiOS install, unless it was left over from an earlier FiOS installation.

In addition I remain puzzled by your diagrammed layout.  The "original" splitter shown in your diagram, now apparently missing, was never necessary in the first place since there is only a single coax connected to it.  It's little wonder that the tech removed it, since according to your diagram it served no purpose.  None of the other coax cables were in use or connected to the splitter.  Incidentally if you want to replace your splitter but as you've indicated you don't think you should have to pay for it, I am sure that VZ will be able to help.  Just stop one of their trucks (simplest way) or call Customer Service (a bit more involved).

I've pretty much contributed what I can to the discussion, and I sincerely hope that you are able to resolve your issue to your satisfaction.  Best of luck.

0 Likes
ArunG

The Comcast diagram was a copy/paste of  FiOS diagram so the ONT was left in. Anyways, I have given up all hopes of any answer from this community. It is very clear that you have no clue as to how coax wiring works.

It works like this:

Main feed (wether Comcast or ONT) goes to the input of a six way main splitter. Five coax cables from outputs from the six way splitter go directly to five different rooms. I had spliced one of the coax cables going to living room and installed a two way splitter. One output of the two way splitter goes to living room, the other output goes to basement.

The Verizon installer has removed the six way splitter in the main box and connected the ONT output coax directly to the coax going to living room. I have feed now in the living room and basement. All other rooms are without feed now.

Anyone who has even a miniscule of knowledge about coax, would know what I am saying. Unfortunately you are refusing to understand the question and responding just for the heck of it.{please keep your posts courteous}

0 Likes