Installing 2 ONTs at same address
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

Maybe I need to call FIOS & ask these questions. If so, please inform me in the reply.

My mom's house basically has an apartment in the basement. There are a bedroom, office, fridge, shower & living room. It may be converted. Currently, I'm living in an apartment, but I may be moving there.

I'm pretty sure that there isn't cable access in the basement.

So, here's where you may ask me to call FIOS & ask these questions.

I want my own FIOS bill. I don't want to share the cost of the existing FIOS bill with my sister. There's already an ONT & router upstairs in one of the bedrooms.

Is it possible to install a second ONT & router in the basement? I guess that the fiber-optic cable from the outside would go to a splitter & then 2 cables would go from the splitter- one to each ONT. Does FIOS charge for each outlet? I can think of 3 possible outlets in the basement- living room, bedroom & office.

I wonder if it costs more to add the ONT & router than to just run additional cables to the basement. I'll be paying for the installation.

I'm not asking how much it will cost. I'm just asking if it is feasible to have 2 ONTs & 2 routers in one house.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Installing 2 ONTs at same address
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

ONT:

One ONT per premise.  If Verizon decides your property has two premises, then you can have two ONTs and separate service, but that is very unlikely.  And, two ONTs with two sets of services will cost a lot  more than cost sharing one service.

TV:

One TV service per ONT.  One charge for the TV package and a charge for each set-top-box.  Pick a package that keeps everyone happy and split the cost; will be much less then paying for two separate TV services (if you can even get that setup).  Then, have each person pay for their set-top-box(es.)

Internet:

One Internet service per premise managed by one router connected to the WAN port on the ONT.

If you have good WiFi coverage in the basement and don’t mind sharing the network, you don’t need to do anything.

If you want to have a separate network and/or don’t have good WiFi coverage, you’ll need to buy some equipment and maybe run some cable.  The easiest approach is to buy a Verizon Network Extender and connect it to coax in the basement.  This will give you WiFi and two Ethernet ports, but will be on the same network as the rest of the home.

If you must have a separate network, you’ll need to run an Ethernet cable from the Quantum router’s LAN port to a router you install and manage  in the basement.

Phone:

Most ONTs have two RJ-11 jacks.  These are separate from the RG-45 used for Ethernet.

If phone service is currently enabled on the ONT, one jack is in use and connected to the phone(s) in the home.  It may be connected to existing in wall wires, or just to a nearby phone.

If you activate a 2nd phone line, the other jack will need to be connected to the phone(s) you want on that line.  Most phone cables can carry two lines.  If the in wall wires are already connected, it should be possible to add a 2nd line to it.  Then, each jack would have access to both lines via 2-line phones or some simple re-wiring.  A Verizon installer can figure this out for you if you don’t know how to do it.

A 2nd line costs $10/month (+taxes)

Depending on the locations involved in the move, you may or may not be able to keep your number with Verizon.  You’ll have to ask them.

Another option is to port you number to a VoIP provider like Ooma or Vonage.  This will cost more than a FiOS 2nd line.  Google Voice is a another option, but has a more involved number transfer process.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

I was just reading about this at another web help site.

you don't need another ONT, the poster at the other site said their router was set up for two separate accounts and after a year of issues the service is working as it should.

after the initial connection it is not a issue to use your own connection for your own devices. However in wifi situations I would set them up like changing to identifiers to acct2-5G and acct2-2g to not logon to the other household account. Which if set up by the other relatives correctly you should not be able to access.

in apoartment or split homes it is common to get separate ONT's since the new ones are the size of a small router. 

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

To get an accurate answer, you need to contact Verizon and ask.

That said, it's my understanding that they will only install one ONT per residential address.  They typically engineer the network to have one fiber drop per premise; there simply may not be an available connection for another fiber drop.  Residential service is limited to one router per ONT.  I’ve never seen or heard of a splitter on a fiber optic line at a premise.  There are splitters deeper in the network, but they are engineered to have one connection per premise.

Business service may have more options.  You’ll need to call their business sales team to find out what, if anything, is available.  Expect business service to cost (a lot) more.

If you want the most cost effective solution, share the existing service.  Run the cables for the required services from the upstairs ONT to the basement and go from there.  You can install your own router or access point behind the upstairs router to create your own wired and wireless network.  TV service will be shared, although you can get your own DVR.  The ONT supports two phone lines, so if you want phone and only one is currently in use; it’s easy to add.

Verizon does not charge “per outlet.”  For TV, they charge fees per set-top-box.  Internet is one fee independent of how many devices you connect or how they connect (wired or WiFi).  You can buy or rent the router.

Good luck.

pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

I'm a bit confused!

I'm retired & living on a fixed income. I was paying FIOS $175/month. I downgraded from Extreme to Preferred. Unfortunately, I only saved about $15/month. I was hoping to save more. I've been researching cutting the cord.

I want to choose my own TV package. Aparently, that's not possible for me if I move to my mom's house. Apparently, I have to share the existing TV package, which I think is Extreme. Aparently, also, it's not possible to add a second ONT. I intend to call tech support & ask questions.

Do I bring my own router? Networking is not my strong suit. My apartment router has its own SSID & my mom's house router has its own SSID. If I connect my router to the coax cable in the basement, it will be a separate network, wouldn't it? And yet won't both my network & the house network show up in a search for networks?

My sister was having problems with the old router, so it was swapped out for the new Quantum router. Now there are 4G & 5G SSIDs.

The ONT supports two phone lines, so if you want phone and only one is currently in use; it’s easy to add.

My exchange is "346" & my mom's exchange is "288". Would separate phone lines have to be run so that I can keep my existing phone number? The RJ-45 connector has 8 pins. Can 1 plug carry both the "346" & the "288" numbers?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

ONT can only support one router for Internat access.

If you don't want to share, then a separate account is required.

As pointed out above, you may not be able to get a 2nd ONT at one location.

Not sure if they support distinctive ring (one way to share 2 numbers on a single line).

If you want to keep them totally separate, they will have to use the seoncd POTs connection on the ONT.

Try contacting support.

I find twitter @verizonsupport to be the easiest way.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

ONT:

One ONT per premise.  If Verizon decides your property has two premises, then you can have two ONTs and separate service, but that is very unlikely.  And, two ONTs with two sets of services will cost a lot  more than cost sharing one service.

TV:

One TV service per ONT.  One charge for the TV package and a charge for each set-top-box.  Pick a package that keeps everyone happy and split the cost; will be much less then paying for two separate TV services (if you can even get that setup).  Then, have each person pay for their set-top-box(es.)

Internet:

One Internet service per premise managed by one router connected to the WAN port on the ONT.

If you have good WiFi coverage in the basement and don’t mind sharing the network, you don’t need to do anything.

If you want to have a separate network and/or don’t have good WiFi coverage, you’ll need to buy some equipment and maybe run some cable.  The easiest approach is to buy a Verizon Network Extender and connect it to coax in the basement.  This will give you WiFi and two Ethernet ports, but will be on the same network as the rest of the home.

If you must have a separate network, you’ll need to run an Ethernet cable from the Quantum router’s LAN port to a router you install and manage  in the basement.

Phone:

Most ONTs have two RJ-11 jacks.  These are separate from the RG-45 used for Ethernet.

If phone service is currently enabled on the ONT, one jack is in use and connected to the phone(s) in the home.  It may be connected to existing in wall wires, or just to a nearby phone.

If you activate a 2nd phone line, the other jack will need to be connected to the phone(s) you want on that line.  Most phone cables can carry two lines.  If the in wall wires are already connected, it should be possible to add a 2nd line to it.  Then, each jack would have access to both lines via 2-line phones or some simple re-wiring.  A Verizon installer can figure this out for you if you don’t know how to do it.

A 2nd line costs $10/month (+taxes)

Depending on the locations involved in the move, you may or may not be able to keep your number with Verizon.  You’ll have to ask them.

Another option is to port you number to a VoIP provider like Ooma or Vonage.  This will cost more than a FiOS 2nd line.  Google Voice is a another option, but has a more involved number transfer process.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is definitely possible to install two ONTs at one residence. My Aunt and Uncle live with my cousin in a month-in-law suite and both have their own ONT. As states before, Verizon doesn't split the drop. They would run a second fiber to the house. The most difficult thing you need to to do is to convince Verizon that it is a dual residence. Also if there is no available connections at the fiber terminal they will have to add one which will further delay the installation. 
If you need three cable runs in the basement Verizon will charge an advanced set-up fee which I believe is $160. So to answer your question it is feasible but be prepared because it might take a few calls to get everything straight. 
Like it was said before just splitting the bill would probably be easier and more cost effective. If you add 3 set-tops at $12 that will only add $36 to the bill. 

pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

I expect it to be expensive. I'll have to call tech support & ask technical questions & also call billing to find out what it will cost.

I've considered Ooma. I'd have to buy hardware.

Of course another option is to do nothing. I can still stream with a Roku or Apple AND also have cable TV. Perhaps the only expense would be to have cable jacks installed in the basement.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Or use Voipo and pay $149 for two years of service and save over terrible Ooma and expensive Vonage. Low costs.

and stream tv and save even more money than fios tv hookup. So just need an Internet connection.

0 Likes
pcnerd
Contributor - Level 3

OK, let's see if I have this straight.

I probably won't be able to convince FIOS to install a second ONT.

I'm not sure, but I think that the basement doesn't have cable access. So, FIOS would have to install cable jacks. I'd want at least two jacks - one in the "living room" & one in the "office" next to the bedroom. I want my own DVRs.

I guess that I don't need my router, but I'd use the house network, right?

How do I determine if I need the Extender?

I guess that I'd close the account at my apartment & have my name added to the house account, right? So, my sister & I would split the bill.

I can still stream AND watch cable.

0 Likes