Intermittent Fios Internet issues
piepiepies
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am not entirely sure if this is the right place for me to ask this, all I am looking for is just some insight at this point.
I have been having intermittent internet issue since the latter half of March 2021;the MGMT light on the ONT box would just go out from minutes to hours at a time. Every time I called the tech support line, they say that they see some sort of disconnect between my ONT box and the main Verizon Fios office, then proceed to send a technician over. The fourth technician just came over today, replaced the box and said "all the tests show that the numbers are good." Problem is that that's what the other 3 technician said as well: first one blamed it on the fact I had the ONT box plugged into the surge protector, second one changed the ONT box itself, and the third one "set a new terminal up for me because the numbers are too high." All of them seem to be unable to help me because the connection is on when they come and they don't see anything wrong with it. I am curently working from home and my boss is getting somewhat irritated and suspicious of the fact that I can't get my internet fixed despite calling out 4 times. I just don't want my internet to keep going out and for me to make these pointless technician appointments.
To anyone that reads that long rant/explanation, thank you. I am just looking for some more permanent solution before switching ISP altogether.
Thank you again to whatever advices you guys can give.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Intermittent Fios Internet issues
piepiepies
Enthusiast - Level 1

The last technician who came out noticed my light levels were really and found out that the issue was with the cable connecting my ONT box to the other pole. The cable was degrading because it was installed forcefully about a year ago and that caused some of the cable to be exposed. He said that any of the 8 technicians should have noticed it and replaced it since it was relatively basic and does not require a line tech at all. My service has been working fine since then for 2 or so weeks. Thanks again for all your suggestions

View solution in original post

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums.  You're talking mostly to other customers here.  This issue clearly needs better attention from Verizon.  I've two suggested paths for you.  They are:

• Verizon's Social Media support team.  They often provide a high level of support than the phone reps.  To reach them, tweet @VerizonSupport or post over in https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect.  Both go the same team, who will respond with a private chat channel to talk about your issue.  Choose based on if you prefer to tweet or post.
  • Contact Verizon Executive Relations.  They are helpful when normal support channels aren't working.  Given your description, your issue sounds like a good one to escalate.  Here's the link:
    https://www.verizon.com/about/our-company/leader/contact/916673

If you can, let us know how it works out.  It's always helpful to learn which of these methods works in cases like this.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I think the previous service representatives sent the wrong tech. Intermittent MGMT light indicates either the layer 1 or layer 2 link to the Central Office is damaged. This is likely due to a loose connection along the GPON distribution line or something is wrong from the splitter box on the utility pole to your home. You need to request a Line Tech visit rather than a Field Tech.

I hope this helps.

piepiepies
Enthusiast - Level 1

The last technician who came out noticed my light levels were really and found out that the issue was with the cable connecting my ONT box to the other pole. The cable was degrading because it was installed forcefully about a year ago and that caused some of the cable to be exposed. He said that any of the 8 technicians should have noticed it and replaced it since it was relatively basic and does not require a line tech at all. My service has been working fine since then for 2 or so weeks. Thanks again for all your suggestions

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Appreciate the follow up and glad to hear they fixed the issue for you.

I would like to know if the tech visit was arranged through the social media support team (VZDirect or twitter) or some other channel.  It helps me and the other regulars here know what we should suggest when other people have similar issues.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@piepiepies wrote:

The cable was degrading because it was installed forcefully about a year ago and that caused some of the cable to be exposed.

Interesting. I am wondering whether checking the incoming fiber line feed from the splitter box should be included in the field technician's normal troubleshooting sequence.