Intermittent Internet Connection - Windows 8?
shahbev

I am at my wits end! I got a new computer with Windows 8, and it drops my internet connection about every 15 minutes. We have two other laptops and they never lose connection, nor do our iPhones. I am wondering if it has something to do with Windows 8 and compatibility with our router ( Actiontec MI424-WR) Has anyone had this issue and actually resolved it? I called Verizon support, and the internet worked better for about a half day, and then started dropping the connection again. If I take my laptop and log onto another wireless connection elsewhere, I don't have this problem at all. Any help would be appreciated!

0 Likes
Re: Intermittent Internet Connection - Windows 8?
GrAnnieSmith
Enthusiast - Level 1
Dear shahbev,
I have a new windows 8 laptop, that has no issues with verizon wifi within home, nor a hotspot wifi (other than verizon service). I actually have used 3 win8 laptops via wifi, with no issues inside home fios wifi, I also have 3 more laptops win7 OS.
Cool part I found with the new win8 laptops, over upgraded win8 laptop from vista, to win7, to win8, is the new win8 laptops extended wifi range, is amazing. I see 3times more wifi accounts to choose from, within my house ( neighbor's wifi accounts, I live in suburbs). Another bonus, former wifi dead/slow spot in home works perfectly with viewing a Netflix movie and using 2 other laptops via wifi, at same time, with no glitches in service.
On a side note (re: win8 new laptop), I have had issues that were not fixable with the mouse pad and DVD, which I'm grateful for buying at Costco, exchange for new PC painless, issue appeared within 90 days of purchase..
Not all laptops (even same make/model), are created equal. Yes, I am saying, something could be wrong with your new win8 laptop, rather than verizon service. I use FIOS triple play, with the upgrade to quantum speeds of 50/25Mbps download/upload speeds
Computer user level - I'm a hobbiest computer user, since late 1980's, with experience assembling commuters, installing software, help resolve glitches with software/hardware, network and Internet service provider companies.