Intermittent Internet Connectivity Issue
hiwattpf
Enthusiast - Level 2

Once every 3 or 4 days I lose internet connectivity. Sometimes I only lose wireless access, but sometimes it's wired access as well. When it happens, I've been powering off the router and turning it back on again, and that has been fixing the problem. 

I just replaced the router (Actiontec) on Saturday after finally calling Verizon about the problem, but it happened again yesterday with the replacement router (lost wired and wireless access). When the problem happens, all lights on the router are on and green and everything appears normal.

Any ideas? Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Intermittent Internet Connectivity Issue
KH-OrnEsh1
Moderator Emeritus

If you are having an issue with your Verizon service, you can use the Verizon Troubleshooter to fix and report issues with your Verizon Phone, FiOS TV, or Internet Service. You can also schedule a repair. Here is the link: http://www.verizon.com/repair

You can also find tools on the Verizon Residential Support page that may help you diagnose your issue: http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you're still having this issue, I'd like to check a few things to see what the deal is with the connection.

When one of your devices is having an outage, using another computer, ping the device using it's IP Address. In Windows, this is best done by opening command prompt within Run (Start Menu search for cmd, or Start > Run > cmd) and entering in ping <ipaddresshere> . If you can ping the Device, it still has network access and should be able to reach the Internet.

I would also post up the Coax WAN Status from your router. Visit http://192.168.1.1/ and click on System Monitoring, Advanced Monitoring, the option for Full Monitoring of connection statistics, and finally, click on the link at the top of the page for the Broadband connection (Coax). Post up these statistics, removing your MAC Address and IP address.

0 Likes
hiwattpf
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks. I still have this problem and I'll try your suggestions the next time it happens. Last time was Friday so I expect it to happen any day now. 

hiwattpf
Enthusiast - Level 2

It just happened again, and once again it affected my wired network as well, so I couldn't ping anything. I also could not access the router through the web interface (until I power cycled).

I didn't post the Coax WAN Status since I assumed it wouldn't be relevant once I power cycled, but if I'm wrong let me know and I'll post it.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@hiwattpf wrote:

I didn't post the Coax WAN Status since I assumed it wouldn't be relevant once I power cycled, but if I'm wrong let me know and I'll post it.

Yes, I believe you should.

@hiwattpf wrote:

It just happened again, and once again it affected my wired network as well, so I couldn't ping anything. I also could not access the router through the web interface (until I power cycled).

I wonder if that has something to deal with the NAT table in the router.

#1 Before it happened:

a) Where you trying to load a list of game server(s)?

b) Where you using a P2P cleint? For example uTorrent

0 Likes
hiwattpf
Enthusiast - Level 2

After replacing the router for the second time, I am still losing connectivity about twice a week, forcing me to restart the router. Today I tried logging in to the router before restarting and got the following message:

"No more than 5 sessions at a time are allowed. Please wait until open sessions expire".

I'm not sure if it's related but it seems suspicious. Has anyone else ever seen this?

Thanks

0 Likes
mackworth

I was seeing a similar issue with my rev I.  Every couple days  the internet would slow down to a crawl and then freeze.  Everytime I tried to access the router I would always get "No more than 5 sessions at a time are allowed. Please wait until open sessions expire".  I raised it to 10 and still got that error.  I eventually just stopped using their router since I don't have an STBs(cable boxes).

Two of us were having similar issues as explained here:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Problems-with-FIOS-Internet-Going-Down-Every-4-6-Days-KIW...

what rev router do you have?  What devices?

0 Likes
hiwatt1

I have 3 STB's (1 is the multi room DVR) so I guess using a different router isn't an option. In addition to those there's typically 1 or 2 laptops (wireless), 2 iphones, 1 ipod. 2 Tivos (1 wired ethernet, 1 wired through a Moca bridge), a wireless printer, and a receiver (also through the Moca bridge).

I'm not sure how to tell what rev the router is...Router Status page says model MI424WR-GEN2, hardware version F.

FWIW the ONT was replaced Saturday and the same problem happened Sunday AM.

Thnx for any suggestions.

0 Likes
yobdab1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the same problem. Every couple of days around 2am. Usually while on the PS3. When it happens I lose connection to the DNS server. I seem to have an IP address but nothing works. No computer, PS3 or iphone WiFi internet connection.

0 Likes