Intermittent Internet Connectivity Issues
Mikecrad29

I have Verizon Fios and have been having intermittent Internet connectivity problems, both wired and Wi-Fi, since the end of January 2020. The ONT was replaced in early February, because it supposedly was dropping the Internet connection every couple of seconds, and a factory reset was done on the router, but the problem started again the next day.

I received a replacement G1100 Gateway (router) in early March and everything was working fine until this past Sunday, April 12th. Prior to the router being replaced, I was having to either reboot or unplug it to regain Internet connectivity whenever I would lose it. This measure would last anywhere from 2 hours to 2 weeks. Replacing the router worked the longest, about 5 weeks, in resolving the problem. However, now the problem has returned and I’ve had to reboot the router 3 times since Sunday to regain Internet connectivity.

I did see in an old post, which is now closed, where assigning a static IP address to devices resolved an intermittent Wi-Fi connectivity problem for another person. All of my devices, except one, are assigned static IP addresses. I also saw in another post that something in Windows 10 can be an issue. I have 2 PCs and a laptop with Windows 10. But, I also have a PC with Linux Mint, a Macbook, and 2 Samsung cell phones and a tablet, several Amazon Fire tablets, and a Fire TV Cube and 2 Fire TV Sticks, which use the Android OS. So, a problem with Windows 10 shouldn’t affect loss of Internet connectivity with the other devices.

I’m not going into a lot of detail here, and provide information like how many devices I have connected to Ethernet and Wi-Fi, nor everything tech support has had me do to try and resolve the problem and everything I’ve tried, because this post is already longer than I wanted it to be.

I have been consulting a friend who is a network engineer since the problem began. He was doubtful that the ONT and router were the root causes of the problem. He suggested that I try to get a Verizon network engineer put a monitor on my fiber feed at the “neighborhood node” to check for problems. So far, everything that has been done has only been a band-aid and has not provided a permanent, long-term solution to the problem.

0 Likes
Re: Intermittent Internet Connectivity Issues
Jaeschke

We've been having similar issues since late 2019. Our entire internet will go in and out at seemingly random times, sometimes it just goes out and sometimes its when we try to do too much on it. There's times where we'll have no issues at all and there's times where it cuts in and out constantly and randomly for minutes to hours on end, such as right now. We've had 3 different routers with this issue, ive been on 3 or 4 support chats, a few phone calls, and even had a technician come by and still haven't had a fix.

Here's an image of Ping Plotter 5 with issues from 9:33 to 9:43 PM today, 4/16/2020
http://shaunjaeschke.com/BadInternet.PNG

0 Likes
Mikecrad29

Thank you for responding to my post.

Which routers have you had? The only one I've had this problem with is the Verizon G1100 Gateway, and I'm on my second one now. There are a lot of complaints about this router and intermittent Internet connectivity problems, going back until 2015, on the Verizon forums.

A couple of Verizon tech support people have told me that I have too many devices connected to my network and that, perhaps, the G1100 router can't handle it. They suggested that I try the new Tri-Band home router, which costs $300 (or you can rent it for $15 a month). I don't want to dish out this kind of money unless I'm sure the problem is with the existing router, and that the new one will correct it. If I buy  it, I have only 30 days to return it. The latest router I have worked for 5 weeks before I started having problems again.

I do have a lot of devices on my home network, about 19, but not all are connected to the Internet/being used at the same time. Also, there are times when the existing router has minimal load on it, like overnight, and I still lose Internet connectivity. There has been more than one occasion when I've gone to bed and the only devices actively connected to it is my VOIP, Verizon STBs, and cell phone and I'll wake up the next morning and not have an Internet connection.

A friend of mine who is a network engineer isn't convinced my problem is the ONT, which was replaced in February, or the router, since I still have the problem with the replacement one that I received in March, and since I lose the Internet connection with very little load on the router. Also, I've had the same devices connected to my home network for over 3 years now, but I didn't start having a problem with the Internet connection until late January of this year.

He thinks there's a problem with the Fios feed coming from the neighborhood node to my house. He says a Verizon network engineer needs to put a monitor on the feed so it can check for dropped packets and other issues that could cause the problem. The one time I suggested this to a tech support person, he insisted that this wasn't necessary because he could "see" what the problem is and could fix it. He did, but only temporarily. After he did, he told me to reboot the router. Every time I call them, they want me to either reboot or unplug the router, but this corrects the problem anywhere from only 2 hours to 2 weeks.

I appreciate you attaching the image, but honestly, I don't know what I'm looking at. I'm not familiar with Ping Plotter or what the image is showing me. My forte in the IT world has been building and repairing PCs. I've also set up home networks for some friends/relatives, but I'm not super well versed on troubleshooting Internet connectivity problems.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Mikecrad29,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please check your Private Messenger Inbox for a message from a Verizon Support agent. You can find your Inbox by clicking on your username at the top right corner of this page and then clicking the envelope icon that appears at the top of the menu. Response times may vary and may be delayed at this time. Please continue to check your Inbox for a reply from a Verizon agent. Please direct all correspondence concerning your issue to the agents who will be assisting you privately.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jaeschke,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please check your Private Messenger Inbox for a message from a Verizon Support agent. You can find your Inbox by clicking on your username at the top right corner of this page and then clicking the envelope icon that appears at the top of the menu. Response times may vary and may be delayed at this time. Please continue to check your Inbox for a reply from a Verizon agent. Please direct all correspondence concerning your issue to the agents who will be assisting you privately.

0 Likes