Intermittent Wireless Function
ms6745

We constantly have problems with wireless connectivity. Verizon just sent me a new modem but the problems have reoccurred. Several months back it was suggested that I use my own (old) Belkin router as a primary wireless source. I did that and things were ok for several months until the lack of connectivity occurred again. I went back to using the Actiontec modem again and it worked ok for a few months. Now, problems again even with the new modem they sent me as a replacement.

Verizon tells me that wireless is only a convenience, that they really do not warrant its use as they do with wired internet, phone, etc. That's difficult for us who have laptops or iPhones and depend on wireless use.

Here's the real reason for this post. I've discovered that when I go through these periods where I can't get connected or that the iPhones we have continue to ask for the wireless password there is a strange occurrance. I tried shutting off the TV with the remote one time and the wireless connection came back in full force. This has happened several times including tonight. I can't get a wireless connection and when I ask my wife to shut off the TV with the remote the wireless connection (Airport) comes right back in full force.

Can anyone explain this? 

0 Likes
Re: Intermittent Wireless Function
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
What is the brand and model of this modem/router?
0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

Wireless can be a tricky thing. The technology says that in a situation with optimal characteristics, your wireless signal is capable of reaching hundreds of feet away.  But that is rarely the experience due to the environment.    In fact, the wireless signal is broadcast on the same frequency as some older cordless phones (even your neighbors) and that can cause the internet signal to be interrupted. (there are ways around it).   But also, a wireless broadcast signal can be affected by almost ANY electronic device that is near; your refrigerator, the A/C, the DVD player (your neighbors equipment if you are close enough), the TV, The BluRay device, the metal pipes running through your walls, floors and ceilings, the flouesent lightning, the cell phones, the air pump on the fish tank, the walls and floors themselves, . . . on and on . . . seriously,  even some lead-based paint.   And, in fact, NO ISP can ( or does) guarantee your wireless reception\experience AT ALL because of all the interference possibilities.     With that said, though, your wireless device within 10 feet, line of sight, is gladly supported.   **bleep**her than that is an uncertainty.       But, you didn't give enough information here for us to attempt to assist you.

you did mention iPhones and airport, though, so are we to assume you are using only MAC-based devices?    Is your wireless connection an open connection, or is it encrypted (secured) with WEP or WPA ?  Are you positive that you have been connecting to YOUR router and NOT one of your neighbors?  How are you sure?  Are you inputting your passkey\security code\ access key [ to ] access your router's signal??  Do you take your devices out of the house and connect them wirelessly in other places?   

You don't mention any of this ands all of this can affest your experience.  talk back

0 Likes
VZ_Brian
Contributor - Level 2

Hi there.  I'm sorry that you're having these ongoing issues.  As stated earlier in the thread, wireless can be really tricky.  I can tell you that my experience with the Actiontec router has been very good.  Stable and strong connections.  Here are a few suggestions, I apologize if you have already tried:

1) Download speed optimizers for all units from here:  http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp/fiosinternet/general+support/top+questions/questionsone/851...?  (For PC)

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Broadband_Tuner_1_0 (For Mac)

2) Go into your Actiontec router (if you are using for wireless) by entering 192.168.1.1 in your browser.  Default user name is: admin and the default password: password1   Click on Wireless settings on the top, basic security on the left, and change your channel.  I would start with channel 11, 6, or 1.  Click Apply. 

Try these for starters, and let me know if this helps!!

Brian

0 Likes
ms6745
I logged on to the router's site and changed the operating channel to channel 11. I've been receiving good connectivity since then (about 2 days ago). We'll see if this stays constant. You would think that with all the technical advancements in this science there would be a way to secure good connectivity without all the negative influences described in previous threads.
0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2
well, there was an issue on another thread that caused issues that may apply here too. I see your having the issue when the tv system is on.  Does your tv or sterio (if you have one) have wireless speakers? if so they may be causing interfearance.
0 Likes
klhart

We have the same problem with our new FIOS installation.  We have 3 laptops, a PS3 and  a WII all of which worked great with Comcast Modem and wireless.  Now that we have FIOS, one laptop will work, 1 will get internet for about 30 seconds at a time every 5  minutes, 1 laptop won't connect at all and we haven't really tried the PS3 or the WII.

If it is "interference" as Verizon keeps claiming how come Comcast doesn't seem to have that same problem?

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@klhart wrote:

We have the same problem with our new FIOS installation.  We have 3 laptops, a PS3 and  a WII all of which worked great with Comcast Modem and wireless.  Now that we have FIOS, one laptop will work, 1 will get internet for about 30 seconds at a time every 5  minutes, 1 laptop won't connect at all and we haven't really tried the PS3 or the WII.

If it is "interference" as Verizon keeps claiming how come Comcast doesn't seem to have that same problem?

Are any of these laptops running Vista? There are many items that can cause wireless connection issues. One being the Verizon router and Vista. Many say it is Microsoft and others say it is Verizon. The origional post seems to be a different issue all together. If you do a search with the search for Vista Wireless in the search box at the top of the forum page you will find many entries. One of the solutions I think is to make sure the Network is set to private and not public. This can be done from the Network and Sharing Center by clicking on customize to the right of the Network. The Internet globe in the Vista Network and Sharing Center may show active and inactive for the Internet, but the internet should remain connected. Microsoft issue if you ask me.

0 Likes
mark1154
So, I turned on the TV and after a while the wireless connectivity went down. So I pulled the plug on the wireless speaker which is a part of our Panasonic Sound-Surround and the Airport Signal (we're all Mac users) came right back on. So we'll see if this is the problem.
0 Likes