Intermittent connection problems
okamichan13
Enthusiast - Level 2

We've had recurring connection problems since we joined Verizon a few years ago and not really sure what to do at this point. We have a coaxle cable broadband connection, and every year right around this time, we start having problems with the broadband connection dropping daily between about 1-5pm. It never happens during winter.

Once this happens, going through all the troubleshooting and the inhome agent, it seems that for some reason the connection to our house just seems to disconnect and it cuts off both internet and tv.  The only fix we have found is to reset the ONT box at the wall, but it is only a temporary fix and pretty annoying to do it multiple times every day. After a reset, the connection will be restored for a few minutes, and then cut out again. Reset the ONT and it does it again. 

After numerous attempts to have this resolved over the phone, Verizon finally sent a new router, which we installed yesterday. Things worked fine and then today the same thing as before. Around 2pm, the connection drops. Reset by ONT, it comes back on for a few minutes, then drops again. Around 5pm, the connection comes back and stays back on. It's the same pattern we've had as before.

Added to the problem is that cell phone service where we are is pretty bad.  When the connection goes down, so does our wi-fi calling, and makes it really hard to talk to customer service. And calling when the connection is up, it's been really dificult to convince Verizon that anything is actually wrong. And also when we do call them, most of them the tech reps will want to go through all the usual connection tests that we already know don't solve the problem permanently.

Any suggestions? One thing I had tried was changing the channel used by the router, but just like resetting the ONT, it's only a temporary fix.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Intermittent connection problems
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

It sounds like something is going bad. It could be bad light coming in at the ONT. A bad ONT or power supply issue. Do you have any red lights at the ONT or power supply?

0 Likes
okamichan13
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, I don't remember seeing anything unusual on the ONT. But I'll check tonight when I get home.

The weirdest part of the issue for me is that it only seems to happen certain times of the day and only certain times of the year. It almost seems like the abundance of trees and the increase in foliage is related somehow during the non-winter months, but I have no idea why that would matter for only a certain part of each day.

0 Likes
okamichan13
Enthusiast - Level 2

I checked the ONT box, just the bottom power light is on. For the power supply, green lights next to power, battery, network, dmi and flashing green next to MoCA. It's connected right now though. I'll try to see what the changes are when it disconnects.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Those are the correct lights when it is connected and working. Check when it goes out .

0 Likes
okamichan13
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been out because of work, but finally got a picture of the outside box when the connection drops.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

ONT issues, Fiber issues. Get Verizon out to service that and indicate you have a red FAIL light on the ONT.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

It looks like either the ONT is going bad or the light on the fiber is above the theshold for the ONT to connect.

0 Likes