Intermittent loss of Internet connection
Fiosdoc

This problem goes back many years if you search on Google.

Fios internet connection momentarily drops to router (wired and wireless at same time).  Too brief to activate red warning on router but work interrupted on all devices until app closed and reloaded.

Tech support no help.  For me, as with other customers, Fios replace router and ONT unit which did not fix it.  

Problem is the router setting for DHCP Lease time reset.  My quantum router was had default value of 60 seconds.  When it renewed the Lease all devices cut off.

Solution is to go into router software from web browser and reset DHCP Lease renewal time to one day (in seconds).  Longer would be best, but that is the maximum allowed in Quantum settings.

Shorter Lease Renewal times only needed in crowded networks with many people signed on to same connection.  Too many inactive connections tie up the lease.

0 Likes
Re: Intermittent loss of Internet connection
Agrajag
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same issues here and it's driving me nuts. I awake in the morning to find various devices disconnected from my network due to early (5am-ish) outages. I have yet to find a solution.

0 Likes
Unreliable WiFi/Connection Since Install Feb 19th. HELP....
Agrajag
Enthusiast - Level 2

I used to have FiOS years back and it was solid as a rock. Then I moved and lost it. Our new house was able to get it finally on Feb 19th of this year. Hurray. However, the experience this time has been mostly one of frustration. 

I started out with the G3100 router, but quickly ran into roadblocks with it. My Plex server would refuse to work with it no matter what I tried. This extended beyond a period where others found Verizon using McAfee on their end and it blocking Plex. Plus the G3100 lacked some advanced features I wanted. So I shelved it and tried two different routers. One was my previous router -- a Netgear R7000P. The other was an Asus RT-AX88u. Both are supposed to be able to handle FiOS Gigabit connections, however, I've had the same problem on both to different degrees.

They both have no issues with the Plex server, as expected. However, both of them have a hard time keeping both the Ethernet connection stable and providing a reliable WiFi experience. The easiest symptom to explain is the WiFi. Roughly every day, especially very early in the morning (5am-ish) the WiFi connection will entirely drop out. I also have an access point in my bedroom and oddly, sometimes I can switch over to it and I'm good for a bit, but not always. Devices that are wirelessly connected will be offline when I wake up. Some need to be reset (every day). Others reconnect on their own, but my phone gets the notifications of them dropping off and reconnecting. Then, during the early work hours the odd dropouts can happen again. When I moved from the Asus to the Netgear the symptoms reduced, but didn't go away entirely. Now devices are still dropping off but every other day or third day.

I thought it was a buggy Asus router until the Netgear acted similarly. Now I have to assume it's something with FiOS. 

ANY ideas?

0 Likes
Re: Unreliable WiFi/Connection Since Install Feb 19th. HELP....
jonjones1
Legend

This is just an observation. You might want to get verizon to first replace your G3100 and see if the problem persists. Additionally Asus and Netgear are great routers, however if you use these routers Verizon will only support up to your ont and no further. 

you might want to have verizon run a provisioning check to see if there is any issues up to your home.

i use. Netgear nighthawk router and my connection us rock solid and with the external antennas wifi can be picked up down the block. Also remember verizon and other providers do not Gurantee wifi. Just a direct connection via ethernet cable from the device to the router.

you also did not say if you have tv or phone with your internet. There are other issues using your own router with these services.

https://support.plex.tv/articles/200375666-plex-media-server-requirements/

0 Likes
Agrajag
Enthusiast - Level 2

I do have TV service, but it's not related to this. I've already dealt with those challenges. I use a TiVo with a cable card. No Verizon DVR or STB in the house and no interest in On Demand, etc. Thus, those issues don't really impact me.

I'd replace the G3100, but everyone on the Plex servers is posting about this issue, so it doesn't seem to be the a case of a bad one.

Which Nighthawk are you using?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Netgear Nighthawk R8500 

https://www.netgear.com/support/product/R8500.aspx

I just love their routers. There is a newer replacement I noted here.

https://www.netgear.com/home/products/networking/wifi-routers/RAX200.aspx?cid=us-chp-store-sfcc&utm_...

in any case they are great products.

0 Likes
LimaHouse

multiple times every day the internet connection drops out!  I am about to switch providers.  In my search for buying a router, I'm finding that for example on amazon, people post how it works for as much or as long as (from what I've read) a month and a half then it cuts out.. and they have issues.  I understand why someone would opt to purchase a modem/router outright because the criminal internet companies charge a fee and over time you could have just bought a device that would alleviate that charge but with or without buying one on your own accord, there seems to be a constant, persistant issue with it cutting out.. what the Freak!  beyond aggravating!  need internet for work!

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

To help you resolve the issue, can you see what LED lights are lit on the ONT when the Internet drops?

It is unlikely a router issue. Don't switch your router yet. I do recommend you to purchase your own router to save money. You can buy used G1100 off Ebay for less than $40.

0 Likes