Re: Intermittent loss of connection
vovka77
Enthusiast - Level 2

Igorman, check this out. The guy who posted this had a PON card replaced and that fxed the issue. Getting that done is not easy as apparently it impacts a large customer area:

Re: Internet connections randomly goes out

Sorry to reply way after the fact but the fix to my issue was replacing the PON (pronounced pawn) card. Actually, it was either a replacement or they switched me to a diffrent one at the main terminal in my neighborhood. Kinda hard to explain because I'm not deep into the lingo but it was PON card related.

They really don't like doing anything with the PON card because it effects the entire neigborhood. I really had to push for it and thankfully the local supervisors and mutiple techs that have been to my home also went to bat for me. Kinda crazy how it took us two freakin' months collectively.

Just to recap, I had the following done:

- Three new routers
- Three ONTs
- Two battery back up units
- Coax cables replaced
- Splitters replaced

- Had the ONT grounded to a fixture on the side of my home

I bet this was very costly for Verizon and the fix was as simple as switching some card or wire that wasn't even in my home.

I'm not mad, just disapointed. But again, great techs and supervisors redeem Verizon and I will remain a coustomer.

Good luck to the rest of you!

0 Likes
igorman64
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've seen the same things every now and then in the logs. The CWMP (CPE (Customer Premise Equipment) Wan Management Protocol) is used by Verizon to automatically check up on your router to see that it is responding or to push updates or configurations to it. I've read the same post you are looking at now and others before this and am unsure of what to do. From what I've read, some people recommend checking with other FiOS customers in your neighborhood to see if they experience any weird dropouts to help push for a PON replacement. Vovka, when you mention Verizon seeing packet drops between the router and the box outside the home, what did you mean by the box outside the home? Is it the one attached to your house (ONT) or a box on the power line?

vovka77
Enthusiast - Level 2

I meant the ONT.

0 Likes
igorman64
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I just chatted with Verizon and they said that the BBU (Battery Backup Unit) seems to be losing power causing the drops. A tech is coming on Tuesday to replace it. Hopefully that's the problem.

0 Likes
igorman64
Enthusiast - Level 2

It's been a while and the BBU replacement did not fix the issue, as expected. I've still been having internet drops every now and then. So, I decided to call Verizon this time and told them about how the ONT, router, ground block, splitters, and some coax cables were all replaced, some equipment several times. The tech then looked at the ONT logs and talked to his supervisor as he could not see why the internet would drop or even stop working until the ONT was reset while TV and phone kept working. It turned out that, in the past couple of weeks, Verizon has become aware of a firmware issue with the replacement ONT (Tellabs 612), which have a newer firmware than the working ONT that I had before Sandy, that causes problems with a WAN coax connection to the router. This explains why TV would work while the internet didn't. So, the tech re-provisioned my ONT for Ethernet, as a workaround, and after connecting an ethernet cable from the ONT to the router and restarting the router, my internet was back. During no point in this process has the ONT been reset and it looks like my issue has been resolved so far. The tech mentioned that he saw a note about this firmware issue in his email, so I'm guessing other techs should know as well.

0 Likes
igorman64
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ever since the change to WAN Ethernet, I have not experienced a single internet drop and my Actiontec has been running smoothly for around 324 hours as of now. So, if anybody is having internet drops which are only seem to be resolved by a reset of the ONT (as reset of the router usually points to a router problem, especially if its an old Actiontec), is using WAN Coax, and has an ONT replaced recently (at least through November 2012, after Hurricane Sandy hit, when mine was first replaced), try calling Verizon and mentioning the firmware bug that may exist in the new replacement ONTs which causes problems with a WAN Coax connection to the router. As of my last call on Feb. 2nd, the only solution was to switch over to WAN Ethernet which does require running an Ethernet cable from your ONT to your router and can be inconvenient and messy in some situations. Maybe, someday, the ONTs will be replaced with a fixed firmware.

vovka77
Enthusiast - Level 2

You got to be kidding me!!! I had identical issues to your intemittent loss of connectivity and Verizon was blaming my laptop/pc/tablet hardware. I got Verizon to send a tech, he replaced Actiontec Router 2 x times, replaced the ONT.  He also switched me from Ethernet, to COAX, as that is what Verizon does now. That worked for an hour after he left and I was again without internet. I called Verizon and started showing them DNS tests I was doing showing intermittent connection failures. I got a good tech that time on the line and he saw the issue. The problem was solved the next day. I have not been having major connectivity drops, but I do notice every now and than I loose connectivity and I have to reboot the router. Not sure if it is another Actiontec Router issue or is this the bug that you are mentioning.

I am technically prewired for Ethernet...

Thoughts???

This is so annoying, Verizon just sucks!

0 Likes
GarlandTX

I've been having the same problems for about a week.  I will simultaneously lose connectivity to my laptop (IM disconnects immediately), my IP phone (conversations become silent) and television (screen goes blank) for roughly a minute.  With no resets of any kind, everything restores: IM reconnects on laptop, web screens will now refresh properly, conversation on IP phone resumes (if the other party didn't hang up in the interim) and TV program restores (in progress).  If it was an on-demand program being watched, an error code 191 is received indicating loss of connection.  Whe attempting to resume the program, you'll find it ran for a minute or two after the screen blanked.  It is all devices in the home; not just those connected to the router.

0 Likes
Fogyreef1

Bump. Same here. While gaming my wife went offline. I remained connected and was able to chat in game. While debugging her pc I reset the router and I lost connectivity as well. I was first able to ping IP addresses, but the DNS was down, then it stopped pinging IP addresses as well. It was like a slow degredation of connectivity options.

The tech saw nothing wrong. I mentioned we had a flicker of power where everything turned off then on again the night before, so the tech is sending out a replacement modem. However, we woke up this morning to full connectivity.

Just now my wife's pc lost DNS but still could ping IP. Then it restored again. What's going on over there?

0 Likes