Intermittent or Nonexistent Internet with Vista via Ethernet
Ultradianguy

Hi - I'm writing to confirm the problems that have been reported here about incompatibility between Vista and Fios.  There was a long discussion with a few attempts at solutions and a lot of complaining, blaming, not accepting responsibility, etc.

First - I have also read the hundreds of posts in many places about this issue.  It is an incompatibility between Vista and FIOS in some way - whether it's FIOS service, the router that Verizon supplies, or whatever.  I don't really care which of these - if Verizon cannot setup their service in a way that works with an OS that is being supplied on mainstream computers like Dell, then I have no reason to want to continue with Verizon.  I don't honestly care if it's a microsoft problem or not; I'm paying for a product that doesn't work, and if there are other products that do work with Vista, then clearly I should change.

I have tried pretty much every fix that has been suggested.  Some help temporarily, some not at all.

This is not a wireless issue - in fact, my wireless laptop with Win XP works fine.  But my desktop with Vista, which is wired directly to Actiontec router via ethernet, has the problem.

Sometimes I can get back internet by rebooting - sometimes not.

Sometimes I can get back internet by resetting adapter, flushing dns settings via ipconfig command - sometimes not.

Rebooting the router doesn't help.

Got verizon to replace router with same model - no difference.

The problem is severe - if I manage to get connection, it will hold for a while, but rarely when I return to the computer will I find it still connected.

I tried updating network card drivers.  No help.

Router firmware is up to date.

Tried disabling ipv6 on network properties. No help.

Network is set to private.

I tried disabling symantec firewall to make sure it wasn't a firewall issue - no change.

I ran FIOS connection wizard - that was a total waste of time, and I had to reset my wireless encryption settings after since it changed them without asking me if that's what I wanted.

I would happily get my own router and install, but since I also have phone and tv through FIOS, it would be difficult. (I AM a techie, but I really don't have the time to start messing with all of that).

I can say that if this problem isn't resolved soon, I'm going to dump FIOS.  I like the service in general, and the package is a good deal - but not if I can't use my primary computer on the internet.  That is just plain ridiculous.

0 Likes
Re: Intermittent or Nonexistent Internet with Vista via Ethernet
fiostvman
Enthusiast - Level 3

Your problem seems somewhat different from most of us around  here. You have a problem with Vista and a "wired computer with FIOS". Most of us have problems with Vista and our our laptop(wireless connection). Visit www.broadbandreports.com  and there  you will find step by step how to use your own router.

My only suggestion for you is to bridge the actiontech and use your own router. This seems to solve all Vista/FIOS issues.

The Actiontech is very buggy.

Message Edited by fiostvman on 04-29-2009 10:20 AM
spacedebrisR
Contributor - Level 1

I'd have to agree. FIOS isnt your problem. Vista works fine with fios on hardwired connections. Your problem is between the computer and the router. FIOS is a moot point. Especially when to get your connection back, rebooting the verizon doesnt help. The only things that help are when you do something with the computer itself.  Its either, 1. compatibility problem with Actiontec. 2. problem with the nic on the computer. 3. Software problem with VISTA (with all the bugs that vista has this is ALWAYS a possiblity).

My first question would be.  Does your internet connect via COAX or Ethernet?  If COAX we are going to be limited. If ethernet then we have several things we can try to isolate

Next, do you have another router (regardless of the type of connection you have)?

When the connection drops, does it drop when you are actively using the connection or does it drop when you walk away from the computer with no active connection. Does the computer go to sleep?

0 Likes
Ultradianguy

I'd have to agree. FIOS isnt your problem. Vista works fine with fios on hardwired connections.

> Actually, I've seen many posts about this problem also occurring with hardwired connections when this router is involved. It may not be FIOS per se, but if the only available router is the actiontec, then in effect it is a FIOS problem - not technically but functionally, since you can't have FIOS without this router.

My first question would be. Does your internet connect via COAX or Ethernet? If COAX we are going to be limited. If ethernet then we have several things we can try to isolate

> Yup, coax, as I have tv through the service, and they used existing coax.

Next, do you have another router (regardless of the type of connection you have)?

> I've got an old 802.11b.

When the connection drops, does it drop when you are actively using the connection or does it drop when you walk away from the computer with no active connection. Does the computer go to sleep?

> It seems to happen when I walk away - but I've tried disabling ability for system to put NIC to sleep, and I've also tried completely disabling any kind of sleep mode at all - and it still happens. So I'd say it happens when the computer is inactive, but not necessarily asleep. In terms of the bridging issue, my understanding was that if I just plugged a different router into one of the ports on the Actiontec and let it provide the connections, that I wouldn't really get around the Actiontec issues, and that truly bridging them wouldn't work because I'd need a router with coax connections. Is that right?

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

I have used a hardwired connection with XP32, XP64,Vista 32, Vista 64, Windows 7 Beta 32 and 64. Have never had this problem with FIOS. Can you tell us what model and brand of PC, what chip set and or what NIC. There may be something turning off the NIC when you are not using it. How did you turn off the power management on the NIC? Even if you set your PC to stay powered, the NIC driver could be turning it off, or something in the bios unrelated to drivers. There could even be a bios update from the manufacture that could fix your issue. Please provide more infor on PC hardware and perhaps we can help.

0 Likes
Ultradianguy

Hi - using a Dell Studio, Vista 64 Premium Home, Quad Core, tons of memory.  Built in NIC on motherboard - Gigabit I believe.  I did at one point update the drivers from the Gigabit website, and that seemed to make it worse, so I rolled back to the ones Dell provided.

Controlling power management through Vista's control panel applet.   Advanced mode lets you drill down to components, including the NIC. 

Have not checked on BIOS at all. Computer recently purchased, so I've never had this working successfully

for any length of time.

Thanks for your help.

Michael

0 Likes
spacedebrisR
Contributor - Level 1

Well, since it is coax we cannot just replace the router with a different one. So, the other router that you have, depending on the manufacture (linksys, dlink, etc) what we can do, is daisy chain your router to the actiontec router and then connect your computer to your router. This would eliminate the VISTA/actiontec link. Then if the problem returns, you can eliminate the actiontec as a cause, if the problem goes away, then you know that you have an issue between vista and the actiontec in which case, problem solved with your router in the link.

I used to have a similar problem with DSL, but mine was caused by the sleep mode. my computer (Vista Premium 64bit) would actually disable the nic everytime it would go to sleep, but it would not re-enable after reawakening. Not quite the same as yours but similar

0 Likes
Ultradianguy

HOw did you handle the issue you had with the NIC?

Also - how would I deal with IP addressing if I put my linksys inbetween?  I don't want to have the Linksys handle all the ip addressing as I also use wireless, and the Linksys is only 802.11b.  Would you suggest I disable DHCP on the linksys and assign a specific IP to this desktop ?  I also have two other computers plugged in hardwired - an iMac and my laptop via a docking station.  (Neither of those has this problem).  Any reason not to leave them plugged into the actiontec since they work fine with it? I guess I could plug all 3 into the linksys - but I hate to mess with anything that is working....

Michael

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Strange when I go through the advanced power options in the control panel, it only shows me settings for wireless NIC. I have no wireless NIC. I am running Vista 64 Business. You can also change the NIC power settings in the device manager under Network Adapters, select the adapter and there should be a power management tab.

If you just want to test your PC with your other router, you can plug the Linksys WAN into the lan port on the Actiontec. Your Linksys WAN would need to be set up for a dynamic or fixed address on the Actiontec LAN. Your Dell could then get it's address from the DHCP on your Linksys router's lan. If it still does the same thing I would say some type of hardware issue with your new Dell. If it works on the linksys we would need to explore other options. I have had my PC with ASUS Motherboard Nvidia chipset and Vista 64 working on two different Actiontec routers, netgear, linksys, and IP Cop Linux routers all on FIOS with no issues. Have had Vista since Beta. Fios since 2005 and XP 64.

Message Edited by prisaz on 04-30-2009 08:54 PM
0 Likes