Internet Dropout
edangwin54
Enthusiast - Level 2

Of late i've been having an issue with my FIOS Router.  The Internet will just drop out both Wired and Wireless.  Looking at the Router everything is "Normal" (Green) except the Globe icon which will be Orange.

I've powered router down, done a reset, checked all cables to Fiber Interface.

Can't find anything abnormal.

Phone and TV works fine when this happens so i'm sure it's not the fiber coming into the house.

Is my router going bad? 

Suggestions // Hints// Ideas //

Thanks

Ed

Re: Internet Dropout
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you by any chance added any additional splitters to the link between the ONT and the Router? It might be an issue with the signal quality going between the two devices.

edangwin54
Enthusiast - Level 2

Nope not a thing new added anywhere.

It's reached the point where i'm resetting the physical router atleast once a week.  Each time the "globe" is Orange.

VerizonUser781
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is happenig to me as well, the eact same thing. I haven't changed anything either, it's very very frustrating.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

When the Orange Globe is lit, does your router show itself as holding an IP address or no? If you look around the System Monitoring section of the ActionTec, you should find a section that mentions the link speeds of the MoCa Interface. If you can, provide that information to us to see if your issue may be due to a poor signal from the ONT. In addition to the loss of Internet service, does your TV service if you subscribe to it suffer from pixelation?

0 Likes
edangwin54
Enthusiast - Level 2

Happened again last night - Globe went Orange no Internet Access either by wireless or coax.  Funny thing is TV and Phone are unaffected.

Of course I saw this message AFTER i'd reset the router so i'll have to keep watch for next week as this seems to become a weekly ooccurance.

BTW checked all the cables from the ONT to the Router and all are good.  Nothing loose, etc.

I'll record the other info you asked on the next occurance..

Thanks

Drinklime
Enthusiast - Level 1
This is happening to me as we speak I have to post with my cell phone tampa fl internet out for last 2 hours
edangwin54
Enthusiast - Level 2

I noticed something else strange also.  While searching for any Firmware updates it seems that the Actiontec listing reflects a current version of 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.14.4 yet when I go to the Vzn site it downloads a version of 4.0.16.1.56.0.10.11.6 - a rather wide discrepancy I'd say.  Oh and I find nothing under a MoCa heading in the Advanced  or system monitoring areas.

My router is a MI424WR Rev D.

I am seriously questioning the reliability of this device as I can find nothing cable related causing the problems.  What does it take to get this thing replaced? 

I've got another issue but will research before posting.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you haven't found an answer to the second problem, feel free to share it. It may be related. If you really wish to get the ActionTec replaced, giving Verizon a call and asking for another one should be all it will take. They may ask for your current ActionTec to be returned though, but if that is needed they will provide a shipping label to send it back to them.

If the MoCa link speed isn't seen in the System Monitoring section of the ActionTec, check the "My Network" section under Network Connections. You should see somewhere in the ActionTec the connection speed of the ActionTec. If it's 180Mbps or less you're having signal problems with the MoCa link between the router and the ONT, which could also mean signal problems to the Set Top Boxes as well. Ideally it should be at 200Mbps or above.

@Drinktime: There is a growing thread about problems in Tampa at this forum. It seems Verizon is having some pretty bad problems and nothing has really surfaced as to what is going on.

0 Likes