Internet Explorer
nbrsguy

We lose internet connection routinely since moving to Verizon Fios while using Internet Explorer browser on both Windows 7 and Windos XP. Do we need to change to a better browser, or any better suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: Internet Explorer
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Are you connecting wireless or on a wired connection?

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

When you lose connection is it just within your browser, or is your actual network connection down?

nbrsguy

It appears that all lights remain operational on our router and thus the issue is with Internet Explorer (I GUESS).

In answer to the other question, the older MS XP operating system is my core household PC that is hard wired to the router, while the later MS 7 OS is on our wireless laptop with both using the latest IE version supported for that system. This I think would eliminate a resident computer issue, right? The problem is intermittent and I can find no correlation. Is experimentation the next step putting an alternative browser in as my default on the newer laptop? Or do you have an alternative suggestion.

Thanks.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try changing the DNS servers on one of the machines (preferably a desktop) to compare whether or not it's a DNS problem rather than something going on with the connection. To change the DNS servers, do the following:

Go to Start > Control Panel > Network connections > Locate your network adapter (Wireless or Wired) and then click on Properties. In Properties, under Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), change the DNS servers from Automatically detect settings to the following server IPs:

If you're in Windows 7 or WIndows Vista, the process is the same however you'll have to go into the Networking and Sharing Center first, and then click on "Manage Network Adapters."

If the drops stop on the machine with these DNS Servers selected, we can see what the deal is with the occasional drops.