Internet Modem compatability
Dan4052

I have a Verizon MI424WR wireless router for my FIOS system. I am about to purchase a new computer that has wireless capability; but uses the new 802.11a/c protocol. Do my present router support that?  If not, what options do I have other than using a wired ethernet connection?

0 Likes
Re: Internet Modem compatability
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

The current Actiontec routers Verizon is providing do not have 802.11a/c capability.

Assuming your new machine will also have 802.11n you can use that mode for a wifi connection.  Otherwise, if you must have .11/ac, you'll have to buy another router and use that in addtion, or possibly in place of, your Actiontec unit.

0 Likes
BradenMcDaniel
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Dan4052 wrote:

I have a Verizon MI424WR wireless router for my FIOS system. I am about to purchase a new computer that has wireless capability; but uses the new 802.11a/c protocol. Do my present router support that?  If not, what options do I have other than using a wired ethernet connection?

The most recent revisions of the MI424WR support only 802.11n up to 130 Mbit/s. (You should mention the revision of you router when inquiring here; Actiontec has made significant functionality changes to this router without changing the model number.)

That said, the WiFi on your new computer is almost certainly backward-compatible to 802.11n. It should work fine; and 130 Mbit/s is more than likely plenty fast for your Internet connection.

The primary advantage to 802.11ac speeds for most users is connectivity between WiFi devices on the same local network. If you want to take advantage of those speeds, I suggest getting an 802.11ac-capable wireless access point.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Also it is not a modem

0 Likes