Internet Resets Every 2 Hours
Scen

Every 2 hours my internet connection resets. Devices lose internet for a few seconds then it comes back. I have a WD MyNet N750 router. Can anyone help?

0 Likes
Re: Internet Resets Every 2 Hours
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 While we know you have that NAT router, do you also use Verion FIOS's NAT router?

#2 Only if so:

a) What is the exact brand and model of their NAT router that they provided to you?

b) Do you also have FIOS TV?

#3 How are you connected to the network (Wired or wireless) ?

#4 On your WD MyNet N750 are you using official WesternDigital firmware or third party firmware ?

Note by third party firmware = Open-WRT, Gargoyle, ROOter by Of Modems and Men.

0 Likes
Scen

I do not use a fios router. My WD router is connected to a Verizon ONT. I chatted with Verizon support and they had me reset my router but the problem still occurred. Then they told me to use an Ethernet to plug directly in to the ONT and into my PC but the problem still occurred. So I now know it’s not the router. I told them it could be a DHCP lease time issue, but they ignored that. (This happens to all devices connected wireless and wired)

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I searched around and found a thread where the issue is solved.

Points to the thread https://forums.verizon.com/t5/Fios-Internet/Losing-internet-service-every-2-hours/td-p/372051

and quotes, the part that most likely solves your issue

wrote:

Checking through the settings on my router, it appears that Verizon provides only a 2 hour lease for my FIOS connection. (It's probably the same for everyone unless you have a static IP).

Speakng of which, let us do that now.

If the connection type is PPPoE, ignore this - something else is going on.

Only if the connection type is DHCP: Check what the lease time is.

As how to do that, depends on the OS and Version.

This example assumes that you are on Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 10.

a) Press the Windows Start key to open the Start screen.

b) Type cmd and press Enter to launch the command prompt.

Note: You do not need to click on anything on the Start screen—typing will automatically initiate a program search.

c) Type ipconfig /all at the command prompt to check the network card settings.

d) If not on Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 10 and you do not know how to check that network info - then post what is your OS and Version is.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

If not on Windows, try these two commands as root/or with sudo - after you get to the command line.

#1 Do this first:

find / -name "dhclient*leases"

#2 Then:

cat /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient.leases

Note: That command is command is based upon the results back for find / -name "dhclient*leases"

Like so..

user-name@pc-name:~$ sudo find / -name "dhclient*leases"
[sudo] password for user-name: 
find: ‘/run/user/1000/gvfs’: Permission denied
/var/lib/dhcp/dhclient.leases
^C
user-name@pc-name:~$ sudo cat /var/lib/dhcp/dhclient.leases
0 Likes