Internet Setup
Bpenn88

Hello, let me start by saying that I have no idea how any of these things work.

The Fios tech just left my house, internet is working and I am super happy.  However, I am curious as to why my internet router is hooked up on the opposite side of the room from everything else.  I like to keep my routers near my TV because of video game consoles.  I am wondering if it is possible to move my router from the phone jack to the cable jack behind my TV.  I tried simply plugging it in and moving the wires/cords but that did not seem to work.  I do not have cable services because I just had comcast canceled and Verizon does not offer cable in my area.  We just got a new dog, so I am unable to stay around the tech when they were hooking everything up and did not realize this issue until after he left.

0 Likes
Re: Internet Setup
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Not enough information in your post to be able to answer your question.

You imply the router is connect to a phone jack.  Except for some limited MDU (apartment) installs, the FIOS router does not connect to a phone jack.  The normal FIOS installation is to connect your router to your existing coax wiring.  What model router do you have?  Is it a Westell 9100VM?   What is the type of cable connected to this jack (4 pin RJ11 cable, or 8 pin RJ45 cable)?  Where does this cable connect to on your router?  Does it connect to the router's WAN port?

If you don't have FIOS-TV, the coax jack at the TV may not be connected to the ONT.