Switch Account

Internet Setup

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Internet Setup

Message 1 of 2
(474 Views)

Hello, let me start by saying that I have no idea how any of these things work.

The Fios tech just left my house, internet is working and I am super happy.  However, I am curious as to why my internet router is hooked up on the opposite side of the room from everything else.  I like to keep my routers near my TV because of video game consoles.  I am wondering if it is possible to move my router from the phone jack to the cable jack behind my TV.  I tried simply plugging it in and moving the wires/cords but that did not seem to work.  I do not have cable services because I just had comcast canceled and Verizon does not offer cable in my area.  We just got a new dog, so I am unable to stay around the tech when they were hooking everything up and did not realize this issue until after he left.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III

Re: Internet Setup

Message 2 of 2
(437 Views)

Not enough information in your post to be able to answer your question.

You imply the router is connect to a phone jack.  Except for some limited MDU (apartment) installs, the FIOS router does not connect to a phone jack.  The normal FIOS installation is to connect your router to your existing coax wiring.  What model router do you have?  Is it a Westell 9100VM?   What is the type of cable connected to this jack (4 pin RJ11 cable, or 8 pin RJ45 cable)?  Where does this cable connect to on your router?  Does it connect to the router's WAN port?

If you don't have FIOS-TV, the coax jack at the TV may not be connected to the ONT.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.