Internet Shutdown due to DNS Malware
Olson0827
Enthusiast - Level 1
So I followed all the steps to ensure we were good with all this DNS stuff and as of 12:15 am on July 9th we are without Internet due to a DNS failure. Any suggestions on what we should do?
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Internet Shutdown due to DNS Malware
TheInstructor
Enthusiast - Level 1
You probably aren't down due to the DNS shutdown. I had the same issue at midnight. Looks to me like VZ just cleared their DHCP scopes causing folks like us to temporarily lose our routable IP address.

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend

If you have Verizon Internet Security, you can go to www.verizon.com/visshelp or call verizon at 1 800 VERIZON and they will transfer you to a mcafee support agent that will help you fix the issue.

If you don't have Verizon Internet security and want verizon to fix it, they offer a pay service called expert care.  

If you subscribe to any other antivirus company, then you should reach out to them.

I found this link with a little bit more info.

www.verizon.com/virushelp 

FAQs about the DNS Changer Malware Attack:
Q:How can a person determine if their computer is infected with this DNS redirecting virus?
A:The customer should visit http://www.dns-ok.us/ using any machine that they believe may be infected. In addition, http://www.dcwg.org/ andhttp://www.fbi.gov/DNS-malware.pdf contain detailed information on this virus, including other ways to determine if your computer is infected.
Q:Is software available to clean a personal computer of this virus?
A:Several tools are available to remove/clean this virus. The tools are available at http://www.dcwg.org/fix/
Q:What steps are Verizon taking to protect its customers from such malware attacks in the future?
A:Verizon offers educational information and software-based services that our customers can use to be better protected while online. We also take steps to address certain malicious online activity such as spam, phishing, and other malicious activity. Ultimately, no single security measure is 100% foolproof, and subscribers should implement several layers of defensive measures, including engaging in safe online activity, maintaining updated software on their Internet-connected devices, and utilizing up-to-date firewall and anti-virus software.
Q:What is Verizon Internet Security Suite?
A:Verizon Internet Security Suite is an anti-virus/anti-malware product that installs to your desktop computer or laptop, and provides you with protection against a wide range of malicious online activity. Click Here For More Information about Verizon Internet Security Suite.
Q:I have Verizon Internet Security Suite - is my computer protected?
A:Verizon Internet Security Suite is a premier Internet service that is frequently updated and is an important part of a subscriber’s defensive measures against Internet-borne threats. However, no single security measure is 100% foolproof and subscribers should implement several layers of defensive measures, including engaging in safe online activity, maintaining updated software on their Internet-connected devices, and utilizing up-to-date firewall and anti-virus software such as Verizon Internet Security Suite.
Q:How did Verizon learn about the malware attack and what did you do to protect your customers?
A:Law enforcement officials informed Verizon that some of our customers were among the more than half a million U.S. Internet users affected by a virus called DNS Changer Malware. We have been working closely with law enforcement and Internet security companies to mitigate the impact of the virus on our customers and to work towards a solution to remove the virus from infected computers.

We hope you find this information helpful in addressing virus and malware infections.

Important Disclaimer about this Website: The information posted on this website is provided as a courtesy to Verizon subscribers to assist them in finding resources to address computer viruses and malware infections on their computers. This link contains information Verizon has obtained from public and other sources. Verizon has not tested or validated the information presented on this page, and it is provided as-is, without any warranty. If you need assistance in dealing with a particular issue with your computer, you may wish to consult a computer professional. Verizon does offer premium technical support services for a fee that can assist you with determining whether your computer or router is infected and cleaning it if it is. You are not required to use our service and comparable professional services are available from other suppliers. Information on Verizon Premium Technical Support services is available at: http://surround.verizon.com/Shop/ExpertCare/PremiumTechSupport.aspx

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

a little more background information 

DNS Changer Deadline Could Cripple Some PCs

Late last year, law enforcement in Estonia shut down a massive Internet traffic hijacking scheme that used the latest versions of DNSChanger Trojans to hijack search results while blocking victims from visiting security sites. The good news was the FBI was able to replace the scheme's DNS infrastructure with legitimate DNS servers keeping infected users online. The bad news was they legally only had until March 8 to keep that infrastructure up and running, meaning that millions of unaware infected users would suddenly be connectionless after that data. Fortunately, the FBI was able to extend that date -- but only until 12:01 a.m. EDT Monday, July 9 (next Monday). A group working in conjunction with the FBI has set up this website to help users scan for and fix infections.

0 Likes
TheInstructor
Enthusiast - Level 1
You probably aren't down due to the DNS shutdown. I had the same issue at midnight. Looks to me like VZ just cleared their DHCP scopes causing folks like us to temporarily lose our routable IP address.
Olson0827
Enthusiast - Level 1
All cleared up. Looks like this was it. Funny that this was a DNS failure. Glad to know it wasn't the issue. Thanks to you all for responding!