Internet Speed Bottleneck on Windows 7
vliscony1

I came from Cable vision, and now I have 75/75 Fios Quantum. I used to get 20-25 Mbps down/15 up, but now I am getting 15 down and 7.5 up.

Inconsistently, I sometimes get higher. as high as 40/10, but never much better than that.

1. Hardware is not the problem. I booted the same PC (HP Compaq 8200 Elite CMT, 16 Gb RAM), under Knoppix 7.4.2 and I got as high as 92/75 on a speed test (non-java version and www.speedof.me)
  2. When I boot up normally under Windows 7, I get usually around 15/7.5, but sometimes higher, as high as 40/10 Mbps down/up.
  3. When I booted into safe mode with networking, i just now got 43.95/9.97 from speedtest.net
  4. Same session with speakeasy/speedtest  34.24/8.60
  5. Same session with speedtest.verizon.net 29.57/12.40
  6. Same session unders speedof.me 45.35/1.98 (yes, that was not a typo. I only got 1.98 Mbps, and the next try I got 2.10 Mbps).

All of this makes no sense, except to say that the hardware is obviously not the problem since it runs fine under Knoppix, and gives me wonderful speed.

Something is going on under windows, and verizon Premium Support could not find anything, nor think of anything to try.

0 Likes
Re: Internet Speed Bottleneck on Windows 7
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Please open the command prompt and run the following commands. Paste the output to a post for us.

netsh int tcp show global 

netsh int tcp show heuristics

netsh int tcp show subinterfaces

In addition, what antimalware or antiviral software do you use on your computer? 

Is your PC's power plan set to power saver or battery saver? I recommend using at least the Balanced setting.

Is your NIC set to autonegotiate mode?

vliscony1

• Receive-siode Scaling State              : enabled
  • Chimney Offload State                         : enabled
  • NetDMA State                                        : enabled
  • Direct Cache Access (DCA)                : enabled
  • Receive Window Auto-tunig Level     : normal
  • Add-On congestion Control Provider : ctcp
  • ECN Capability                                       ; disabled
  • RFC 1323 Timestamps                         ; disabled

• Window Scaling heuristics                    ; disabled
  • Qualifying Destination Threshold         ; 3
  • Profile type unknown

In addition, what antimalware or antiviral software do you use on your computer? 

Is your PC's power plan set to power saver or battery saver? I recommend using at least the Balanced setting.

0 Likes
vliscony1

• Receive-siode Scaling State              : enabled
  • Chimney Offload State                         : enabled
  • NetDMA State                                        : enabled
  • Direct Cache Access (DCA)                : enabled
  • Receive Window Auto-tunig Level     : normal
  • Add-On congestion Control Provider : ctcp
  • ECN Capability                                       ; disabled
  • RFC 1323 Timestamps                         ; disabled

• Window Scaling heuristics                    ; disabled
  • Qualifying Destination Threshold         ; 3
  • Profile type unknown                              ; normal
  • Profile type public                                    ; restricted
  • Profile type private                                   : restricted
  • Profile type domain                                  : normal

Microsoft Security Essentials/Firewall

HitmanPro,

Anti-Malwarebytes

Guarded-ID

set to high performance

It was set for 100 Mbps/Full Duplex, I nos set it to Auto Negotiate - is that what you meant me to do?

Thanks sofar.

and, about ======== The first to bring me 1Gbps Fiber for $30/m wins! email me privately vliscony at gmail dot com

0 Likes
vliscony1
Thanks for all this wonderful info. At some point i gave up and went back to restoring factory condition i.e. rebuilding my win 7 install, and then my HDD started failing. Previously there had been nonevidence of errors onnthe HDD ... So i ordered a new drive and then I am going to follow step by step to see if any prigram causes a problem. First shot out of the barrell with the new, clean o/s was 80/90, in excess of my rated speed. Hope springsbeternal.
0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Glad to hear it's all better. 🙂

0 Likes
vliscony1
It makes no sense to me that these symptoms could all be explained by a slow, gradual failure of my HDD. I went from Vz 70/35 to cablevision 50/25 a year ago figuring there was no sense in paying for speed I was not getting. I was able to function under cable, but still unhappy.With the speed, usually in mid 20's. Then came back to Vz 75/75, and was getting 15/7.5, though sometimes as high as 20/12, and very occasionally low 40's/low10's
mout annoyingly, it would throttle down during a session, be it a backup, or a video conference. Eventually it would choke. That choking started after switch to vz, or so it seemed. In any case at first I blamed the network, but testing indicated I was getting as high as 80/90. Still, even under Knoppix, running from dvd, i.e. from memory, so no h/d involved. I got the same behavior, though always with higher starting speed. Might look like starting at 90/45, or sometimes 90/80, but in the course of 30-45 minutes throttling down to choking point. After all of that, failing HDD is the only explanation? I do not get it, except to say it was the only cause I could find, sofar...
0 Likes