Internet Speed - Not Getting What I Paid For
bxcrwlly1

I purchased an upgrade to the 50MBPS vs. 20MBPS internet plan several months ago.  At first, I thought I noticed a difference but lately not so much.  I decided to validate my speed.  I found out I'm still running close to the 20MBPS.  So now, I'm trying to figure out why I'm paying the extra fee each month for the higher speed.  Anyone else have the issue and, if so, how did you resolve with Verizon.

0 Likes
Re: Internet Speed - Not Getting What I Paid For
jorge281
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't know if this is your situation, but I found that I get the higher speed only if my computer is cabled to the router.  My other devices that connect wirelessly are getting about half that speed.  Apparently that is unavoidable, which means that the TV ad showing a housefull of wireless devices operating at the higher speed is inaccurate and misleading.

0 Likes
Re: Internet Speed - Not Getting What I Paid For
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

You're absolutely correct in that wifi can limit the bandwidth you get.  I always recommend that troubleshooting speed problems begin with running a test at a site like www.speedtest.net with a PC or Mac connected by Ethernet cable to your router.

If you still don't get the speed you're paying for using a wired connection, that might be due to a problem that Verizon should solve.  However, if your speeds are as advertised via hard wire but less via wifi, that opens the door to a bunch of other problems that can possibly be addressed.

FWIW, I have the 75/35 plan.  I always get ~82 mb/s download and ~36 mb/s up with a wired connection to my Actiontec router.  If I run a speedtest on a laptop using wifi I don't get quite the same download speed but I still get ~70 mb/s down and 35 mb/s up. 

So wifi is capable of those speeds, but only with an 80211.n wifi connection, and one that is on a clear channel with no interference, within clear line of site between the router and the device in use,  and with a device that is also capable of sending and receiving at those speeds.