Internet access when account is suspended
Samjb

My son goes to school with a really nice kid who's single mom is unemployed, and has been for a while. She doesn't seem to be trying very hard to find a job and is constantly posting on Facebook about her financial problems. People always come through with money. We are beginnning to think she's scamming people, because a lot of things she says don't add up--like this latest Facebook post: "This is weird. So I lost my Verizon this morning, no phone, no t.v. and the only internet I can get to is facebook!! Everything else goes to a notice that my account is suspended! So, I can't do anymore job hunting. This totally sucks!"  How is this even possible? I could see leaving an open portal to Verizon in order to connect with them about paying the bill, but Facebook? 

0 Likes
Re: Internet access when account is suspended
PJL
Master - Level 3

@Geekmama wrote:

My son goes to school with a really nice kid who's single mom is unemployed, and has been for a while. She doesn't seem to be trying very hard to find a job and is constantly posting on Facebook about her financial problems. People always come through with money. We are beginnning to think she's scamming people, because a lot of things she says don't add up--like this latest Facebook post: "This is weird. So I lost my Verizon this morning, no phone, no t.v. and the only internet I can get to is facebook!! Everything else goes to a notice that my account is suspended! So, I can't do anymore job hunting. This totally sucks!"  How is this even possible? I could see leaving an open portal to Verizon in order to connect with them about paying the bill, but Facebook? 

What she's describing makes no sense.  I suspect that when your service is turned off for non-payment, everything goes, and you have to call and make arrangements or access MyVerizon some other way than your own Internet service. 

Did I read the word scam? Smiley Surprised

0 Likes
freedomchild82
Enthusiast - Level 2

Is it hurting you any? Did you give her money? Is she stealing cable or anything from you? If not... than it's really none of your business and you should spend more time worrying about your own life and less time worrying about others. IMPO.

0 Likes
Samjb

Well, actually, I am part of a parent's group that HAS provided financial and other assistance, but one by one people are beginning to doubt her stories and backing off from additional help, although we feel sorry for her sons. I have provided money to her, and other help, so yes, I have a vested interest, along with others in the group, in finding out if she's scamming us. We're not meddling--she ASKED for help. This is one claim of hers that can potentially be verified--others not so. 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm finding this hard to believe as well, unless perhaps, there's some funny setup that is managing to get past the walled garden established by Verizon's equipment? I've seen in some cases VPNs doing this, but I highly doubt she's using one. There's a chance she could have hopped onto a neighbor's Wi-Fi connection or could be posting from a mobile phone, if she has one.

Verizon walls modems off by issuing an account that is suspended a 10.x.x.x IP address. Essentially, it's what you'd find on a Carrier Grade NAT setup, so unless Verizon's equipment is mis-configured, the only thing a modem on a 10.x.x.x IP can get to is the suspension page. Non-suspended circuits, at least for now, get a public IPv4 address from Verizon's pool of IP addresses.

If a line remains walled off for too long, due to non-payment, that's when the DSL signal and everything else goes. They will leave the DSL signal on for some time to show someone the suspended page, to give them a chance to resolve the problem.

0 Likes
sowavy12257

My neighbor I play ps4 with account is suspended but his wifi still works idk how he is doing it but it works I was searching internet if anybody else had this and I came across this forum 

@Geekmama wrote:

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes