Internet and Landline Dropping Simultaneously and With No Warning/Permanent Fix
helpforme1

Hello Fios Forum,

I've been experiencing a huge problem with my internet and home phone service that has been happening since December of 2016, and has been getting progressively worse over the 2017 year, happening from once a month, to at least 3 times a day. It is happening more than ever today, dropping out at least 6 times during the past hour (5:54 EST).

Here is my problem:

Completely unannounced and unpredictably, my 80/80 mbps internet service and home landline connection will drop out, with the TV service being completely unaffected. But here's the unusual (and extremely infuriating) part about the connections dropping; the internet light on my router will still be solid green, indicating a connection to the Fios service, but when I try to actually connect to the internet, no connections can be made. The internet light just stays solid green, blinking very rarely, and when it does blink, a very miniscule fraction of my data transfers. Through rigorous testing via multiple devices (both ethernet and wireless) and the home phone, I have noticed that the connection doesn't fully drop, it just slows down to an extremely slow speed (between 0 and 64 kbps according to task manager) and the landline phone will have no dial tone during the (sometimes) short outages. I have noticed while my grandson is playing Borderlands 2 on his Xbox One during one of these outages, his connection to his friend's game doesn't completely drop out, It displays a 'connection interrupted' icon in the corner of the screen and all players and enemies freeze in place when the green internet light stops blinking, further reinforcing the fact that my internet slows down to unusable speeds, not even enough to browse a text-only internet site (for example, wikipedia).  Another noteworthy tidbit, power cycling and factory resetting the router only sometimes works, and when it doesn't, the internet light goes from solid green with no blinking to orange. These fixes only work half of the time, and when they don't, both the internet and landline take between 5 to 60 minutes to come back on its own.

I have called multiple technicians to my house, getting each suspected piece of problematic hardware replaced, hoping the problem will be fixed. Three technicians, a new ONT, and a new outside power box later, the problem has resurfaced yet again. I think the problem may lie in either the router, some internal house wiring, or both. The reason why I don't think it is the router itself is because the landline outages are linked like clockwork to the internet outages, with the dial tone restoring at the same time as the internet. I suspect the problem may lie between the outside power box on the side of my house and the Verizon underground wiring faceplate that is in front of my house, near the sidewalk. Maybe there's a short/moisture getting into those wires somehow? I haven't the slightest clue.

Am I the only one who has had this problem? I have scoured the internet for some kind of answers to no avail, and the verizon tech support has been the least helpful out of all of the methods, as they cannot identify the problem from their end due to the connection not fully dropping, but retaining enough connection to transfer data in the kilobits per second.

I am absolutely livid at this point as I, A) cannot find any definitive answer to my problem, B) cannot find a permanent solution to my problem (power cycling/factory resetting the router or unplugging the ONT will only temporarily fix the problem, if at all), and C) 3 different technicians and 5 visits have only delayed the outages, only to have the problem spring up a couple days later.

I am paying a tremendous amount of money for my 80/80 mbps, only to have the connection drop at least 3 times a day for an unpredictable amount of time, and no technician being able to fix my problem even after multiple visits and hardware replacements. I am rightfully angry over this, and I am at wit's end trying to keep this problem from coming back.

Please, can anyone give me some sort answer at all to my problem? Any sort of help will be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Internet and Landline Dropping Simultaneously and With No Warning/Permanent Fix
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi helpforme,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and scroll down the page to an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name located above your post, or at the top right of this page.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. The title of your post is the link. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, you may subscribe to the case. At the top right of your support case there is a gear icon which provides a drop down menu with support case options. Click that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes