Internet connection problem when Windows 10 was installed...
Dr_Why
Enthusiast - Level 2

When I downloaded and installed Windows 10 replacing Windows 7, I could not connect to Verizon Fios internet.

As a former software engineer, I tried various fixes, but finally gave up, and re-installed Windows 7.

Are there any outstanding problems with connectivity after Windows 10 is installed?  My network runs on the relatively new Verizon router, the Actiontec MI424wr.

Thanks for any help you can provide..

Sincerely, Dr. Why  

{edited for privacy}

0 Likes
Re: Internet connection problem when Windows 10 was installed...
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

I've done multiple win 7 to win 10 upgrades.  Had problems with several but not connectivity ones.

I would suspect that your issues is an bad nic driver.  You may want to look online and see if the nic in your machine is good for win 10.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@viafax999 wrote:

I've done multiple win 7 to win 10 upgrades.  Had problems with several but not connectivity ones.

I would suspect that your issues is an bad nic driver.  You may want to look online and see if the nic in your machine is good for win 10.

I can vouch for this.

A system at home experienced a symptom where it was able to establish a physical network link and acknowledge the link being there, however, the NIC would not pass traffic let alone get an IP address from the network. Fixing this required getting the driver from the Internet using another PC or another OS, then installing the latest driver.

The NIC in question was an Intel I-217V (PCI-E x1) baked into an ASUS Z87-Pro motherboard. I suspect the I-217V's issue is a bit more universal to the network card across other manufacturers though. This system had this issue with Windows 8, Windows 8.1, and Windows 10. All required getting the Drivers from Intel to fix.

billsanders244

I am having the same problem with one device in my house, a laptop which uses Windows 10.   I have had no other issues with any of the Apple devices we have (3 MacBook Pros and 3 IPhone 6s) or my two Samsumg smartphones.

I find those solutions interesting, but I am not sure that I am technologically competent enough to implement them myself.  I have been trying to connect with Verizon through their "device specific escalation" teams, which I reached by complaining to one of the Verizon senior management team through the company website bio for her.  Unfortunately, despite the team being some type of special unit, they are incredibly unreliable as far as communications go.  I am about to switch my service back to Cablevision because they have repeatedly missed appointments for scheduled service phone calls, among other things.   Perhaps I can now point them to this solution before I actually pull the plug.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@billsanders244 wrote:

I am having the same problem with one device in my house, a laptop which uses Windows 10.   I have had no other issues with any of the Apple devices we have (3 MacBook Pros and 3 IPhone 6s) or my two Samsumg smartphones.

I find those solutions interesting, but I am not sure that I am technologically competent enough to implement them myself.  I have been trying to connect with Verizon through their "device specific escalation" teams, which I reached by complaining to one of the Verizon senior management team through the company website bio for her.  Unfortunately, despite the team being some type of special unit, they are incredibly unreliable as far as communications go.  I am about to switch my service back to Cablevision because they have repeatedly missed appointments for scheduled service phone calls, among other things.   Perhaps I can now point them to this solution before I actually pull the plug.

If you right mouse click this pc and select manage and then device manager, do all the devices show as being OK or do any have exclamation marks on them?

0 Likes
billsanders244

I tried connecting with Verizon premium tech support but with no luck.  The only thing they were willing to do was suggest I get the 'local office' to change out my modem.  They would not look at this site to see the solutions that were discussed.  I guess I am going to switch my service back to Cablevision/Optimum, with whom I never had these problems.   Verizon is obviously not willing to come to grips with the fact that they have a major problem with Windows 10 and they don't want anyone else to come to grips with it either.  

0 Likes
dnewmank

I had the same problem with three different Windows 8.1 machines when I got FiOS.  All my other machines (Windows 7, Macs, iPhones, LG phone, etc.) connected right away, but the Windows 8.1 machines wouldn't do it.  I read on forums etc. and found all kinds of complicated solutions that didn't work.  I contacted Verizon tonight and they had me do this:  choose the home network, right click, then click on "Forget this network".  Then I clicked on the network again, and it immediately gave me a spot to enter the network password.  The machine connected right away.  I tried on another Windows 8.1 machine and it worked as well.  I don't know if this will solve the Windows 10 connection issue, but wanted to mention as I wasted hours of time trying to resolve this.  I told Verizon that they need to post this solution prominently in the FAQ's.  They said it was too technical to post, but it's a 10 second solution with three steps!  How hard is that??  Anyway, good luck!

0 Likes
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@dnewmank wrote:

[edited] I contacted Verizon tonight and they had me do this:  choose the home network, right click, then click on "Forget this network".  Then I clicked on the network again, and it immediately gave me a spot to enter the network password.  The machine connected right away.  I tried on another Windows 8.1 machine and it worked as well.  I don't know if this will solve the Windows 10 connection issue, but wanted to mention as I wasted hours of time trying to resolve this.

Wow. If that works, it's a lot simpler than my suggestion was going to be. I upgraded my laptop from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 (in place) and while it connected to the Internet just fine, the speed of booting was abysmal. This laptop has an SSD, but booted like it had a slow hard drive. I ended up wiping it out and doing a full install. That's an option during the install process. Just make sure you have your Windows 7, 8, 8.1 or 10 key for the upgrade and back up everything you care about (somewhere else) before you start. CNet has a good article on how to create bootable media and do a "fresh" install. After I did that, my boot time went from minutes to seconds.

0 Likes