Re: Internet connections randomly goes out
MrWizzard
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'll list everything I have that has internet connections because I really don't know what you're talking about.

- Two custom-built desktops.

- Two Laptops. One is an HP, the other is a Toshiba.

- Three androird phones. One is an LG Optimus T, one an LG Optimus S and the other an HTC Evo Design 4G.

- One Xbox 360 Elite.

- One 40GB PlayStation 3.

- One Nintendo 3DS.

I really don't know much about routers or how any of this stuff really works. You know, it isn't the worst issue in the world but it really shouldn't be happening, especially to pop up after having survice for over a year.

The only thing I can really do is follow a visual guide on how to forward ports but again, I haven't done so since I was with Comcast which was years ago.

I'll try the suggestions from eariler but be warned that I'll need serious help with them.

0 Likes
MrWizzard
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sorry to double post but is it normal to have two DNS servers listed?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@MrWizzard wrote:

Sorry to double post but is it normal to have two DNS servers listed?

It is ok to have one DNS Server...

For example of when an user would have only one. If their router has a built in DNS Server, the info on their computer could be -

IP Address: 192.168.1.5

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

DNS (#1 only): 192.168.1.1

..but really there should be at least two.

@MrWizzard wrote:

I'll list everything I have that has internet connections because I really don't know what you're talking about.

- Two custom-built desktops.

- Two Laptops. One is an HP, the other is a Toshiba.

- Three androird phones. One is an LG Optimus T, one an LG Optimus S and the other an HTC Evo Design 4G.

- One Xbox 360 Elite.

- One 40GB PlayStation 3.

- One Nintendo 3DS.

Ok

You have at least two devices that support UPnP where you can't define the ports that it/they use.

For now, this is my advise.

#1 Turn off UPnP in the router.

#2 This will prevent the PS3 from having NAT Type 2. On the xbox they have something like NAT type 2, but it called another name,

#3 Try to see if that solves your issue or not.

#4 If it solves your issue that you are having and if you don't ever have the following list of devices on at the same time: PS3, Xbox, Nintendo 3DS. - that consider marking as solved.

#5 If it solves your issue that you are having and if you ever have on those devices on at the same time:

a) What is the exact brand, model and hardware version of your router?

For example Actiontec, MI-424-MI, Rev C.

a) While I know you have FIOS Internet. Do you also have FIOS TV?

b) Do you have your own RJ-45 WAN port router (not provided by Verizon and not with Verizon logos anywhere on/in it) ?

0 Likes
MrWizzard
Enthusiast - Level 3

I haven't tried what you or Smith6612 suggested as of yet. I wanted to give verizon the opportunity to fix the issue themselves. I do not however believe what you suggested will fix the issue because I went the entire week only using my personal desktop and the internet still cut out like it has been.

I do have FIOS TV (five STBs) and don't own a secondary router. Haven't had the need for one.

Now, I had a tech out yesterday that replaced the ONT and that didn't fix the issue. Another tech came out today and replaced the coax (or whatever) cable that has going from the ONT to my parents bedroom, which was then split three ways: To my router, parents STB and then my STB. He also replaced the splitter.

I'm hoping this fixed the issue because I'm going to be really angry tomorrow if it goes out.

I shouldn't have to fiddle with the router and use weird settings because everything was PERFECTLY FINE before I got a new STB to replace a digital adapter. But hey, I was told cable boxes cannot effect the router.

0 Likes
MrWizzard
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yeah, it didn't fix my issues. I called them about an 45ming ago and the rep I spoke to mentioned breaking the DHCP lease and that it helped a previous coustomer with his issues. I had him do it since AFAIK it hasn't been done before. He could have been fooling me about the past coustomer but let's hope not.

0 Likes
MrWizzard
Enthusiast - Level 3

I haven't posted here in a while about the issues because really, what's the point?

Anyway, here's a condenced transcript of the past two or so months dealing with this issue:

Since the beginning of February I've been having this issue with my Verizon Fios where the internet will just cut out once, sometimes multiple times during the day. No indication on the router that anything was wrong, it just didn't work and would only resume working if I switched the router off and then back on.

Logic told me that it was the router going bad, so I had it replaced. Didn't help.

- They tell me they need to send someone out there to look at the issue. Guy comes out, replaces the ONT (box on the side my house converts FIBER to Coax), Doesn't fix the issue.

- They send another tech out and he says it's a cable problem and replaces some coax cable. Doesn't fix the issue.
- They break the DHCP lease. Doesn't do anything.

- Female rep tells me it's a power issue and to plug the ONT elsewhere. Seems to fix the issue for a few days then starts up again.

- Send another tech out (who was a total jerk, btw) to replace the battery and power cable. Does it fix anything? NOPE.

- They send another tech out to check EVERYTHING so in the meantime I try another outlet. Works solid for almost three days. Tech replaces the router just to be on the safe side.

Then I run into a new issue this past Friday where the internet kinda-sorta works so I reset the router. The same tech comes back out that very same day to run some additional tests and sees that the ONT keeps rebooting itself and going to battery backup every-time internet cuts out. So, I try ANOTHER outlet and sure enough the darn thing goes out again. Keep in mind all three outlets typically power other devices that work flawlessly so, that the heck?

Not to mention that when the unit goes to battery backup, the only thing that should be on is the telephone so why doesn't the TV cut out as well? Why is it just the internet?

Ive taked it over with my household and I'm going to give them until Friday, March 30th to come up with a definitive fix (if it's my outlets, prove it to me and find one in my home that supposedly works). After that, I'm switching back to [your biggest competitor]. I sure do hate [your biggest competitor] and I'll have to cut out out things like netflix and online gaming because of their 250GB monthly cap, but at least I'll know the internet works 100% of the time.

So in the end Ive lost at least four days waiting around all day for a rep to show up at my house to tell me pretty much nothing, counteless hours on the phone either getting told "we can't see anything" or blamed for the issue (I was told my android device was causing it to go out), and missed work because of my unreliable internect connection.

I freelance as a news writer, run my own website, and record/edit video content for my youtube channel to help support myself and my family. I have lost good-paying freelance jobs and my website/youtube channel have taken a nosedive in traffic because I can't produce content the same way I could two months back.

This entire situation is INSANE and obviously my loss of revenue doesn't mean much to you fine folks at Verizon. The only person that has really been helpful and tried his best to make sure my issue is being taken seriously has been the last tech that was sent out, named Steve. Too bad his hard work has gotten the issue fixed.

0 Likes
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner

MrWizzard

I'm sorry you are having difficulty with your interrnet service. An agent with access to your account will reach out to you directly (by email, private message in the Forums and/or the billing telephone number on your Verizon account) for more information or to help you resolve your issue.

0 Likes
sdawge

Good Luck,  This has been an ongoing issue for me for well over a year that I have records of. In reality it has been going on for a couple of years.  I have had my router replaced 5 times.  I have had verizon techs in my ceiling.  They have replace the FIOs box outside of my house as well. Every time they assure me the issue will be resolved.  If I look over at my calendar there are only a couple of areas in the last year the the router has gone over 2 days without having to be rebooted .. and then it was only for 3 days. I have no idea what I can do. They always tell me that this is an isolated issue .. yet it has happened to my son who lives across the country from me.  I was talking to a fellow worker at a corp. meeting and he told me he has the same issue .. Again .. He doesn't live remotely close to me. You would think at the very least there would be some sort of customer service rep apologizing .. OR ... Even someone I could email.  I am trying to find an option but there aren't many available to me ... I have my phones, both wired and wireless ... My TV and my internet all through Verizon .. I'm really regretting having done that.

0 Likes
Hildy2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've been having the same issues as you MrWizzard for about the same time as you. As a gamer I see the issue and my neighbors don't. Turns out they are almost all on a different switch or something according to the tech.

I've done about the same as you as well. Had the routers replaced twice. I've moved to different coax in the home. They replaced the ONT board out front of the house. And still I get dropped from services that rely on streaming. Xbox live chat and online games for example. It's like the information jsut stalls out for a few seconds. sometimes it bounces back in, but most of the time I get dropped from service before it comes back. Frustrating.

Tech did a test on their end of network and see no errors. We've tried about everything short of rewiring my house. They said they pushed some upgrades in January (around when the issues started). I may ask my next door neighbor if I can jump on his wireless to see if his connection is affected at all.

I'm in the MD state if that helps determining anything. Let me know if anything else comes to light, I'll let you know what my tech finds out (he's been great so far)

0 Likes
Hildy2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I found this thread a few pages down in the forums:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Unable-to-make-connection-to-XBox-Live/td-p/366223

Specific to LIVE connection and basically the solution (for them) was to release and renew till they got a new IP in a different range. I may try this when I get home and see if an IP in a different range would improve.

0 Likes