Internet dying every couple days with new FIOS service and actiontec rev I router
mackworth

I had fios for about 1.5 years, 2 years ago and loved the service.  My city has had Fios internet since I moved here and they just got TV about 1.5 months ago so I signed up.

Since my service has started, my internet has been going down every 3-4 days.  I have the fios router connected to the ONT via COAX.  From the router, I am connecting to a 8 port gigabit switch.  From the switch I have my media center, a wireless access point(asus RT-N56U which has a dedicated access point mode), a HDHomeRun Prime (networked cable card tuner), and another switch which services 2 more computers.

For wireless I have an iPad, 2 iPhones, a printer, and 2 laptops.

When i try and connect to the internet I notice that images are missing and stuff like that.  It sounds very much like http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Actiontec-MI424WR-Router-Revision-I-Having-a-problem/td-p...  I can barely connect to the router.  This happens to both wired and wireless clients.

Sometimes I can't even connect to the router, but because I have everything running through switches I can still hit other computers on the network.

Based on the other thread the only thing I haven't done is try removing the asus and using the built in wireless.  I also tried to set up a syslogd server but for some reason it is not getting any messages to it even though I turned it on in the router settings.

Any other ideas?  I live in a very crowded area, so I would like to use the asus to give me 5Ghz coverage.  I can take it out temporarily but if that doesn't fix it maybe I can try turning my actiontec into a bridge?  

0 Likes
Re: Internet dying every couple days with new FIOS service and actiontec rev I router
mackworth

I am thinking more and more that it is the HD Home Run Prime.

http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12451&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=fi...

http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12452&highlight=fios

http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12453&highlight=fios

The HD Home Run Prime uses UPNP to communicate with the Windows Media Center and maybe the actiontec can't handle it.  I have been running the HD Home Run Prime with comcast since last summer with no issues....

0 Likes
Re: Internet dying every couple days with new FIOS service and actiontec rev I router
mackworth

And I do have UPNP enabled on the router and the "clean up old UPNP entries" turned on.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since you mention it, try shutting UPnP off. I've seen that feature grind routers to a halt before, plus it is a known security risk for those who don't like holes being punched into their network. See if that helps at all. The UPnP-enabled devices on your network should still work fine, just the router won't respond to any UPnP requests.

0 Likes
libtad12

When I signed up for verizon, from comcast, tech came out to change and I cannot get rid of comcast., it shows I am administror and cannot delete. I go to open up internet and have 1 hour trying to get a screen, have the icons are missing, and trying to get a tech to come out, forget it, why when they first came out, I asked "TAKE COMCAST OFF" THEY REPLIED IT IS NOT NECESSARY WELL IT IS, I AM STILL ADMIISTROTOR AND CANNOT DELETE COMCAST. I AM SO DISGUSTED CALLING CHATTING WAITING 45 MIN TO TALK TO 5 PEOPE AND THEN TO HEAR I AM NOT A TECH BOTTOM LINE, MONEY THAT IS WHY YOU CAN'T GET A TECH TO COME AND FIX THIS YOU CAN SPEND BILLIONS ON VERION CENTERS, BUT FOR CUSTOMERS WHO SWITCHED TO YOUR SERVICE YOU DON'T EVEN CARE ABOUT!  I ALSO HAD TO CHANGE BILLING PAYING FOR PREMIER SUPPORT, FOR WHAT, NO TECH, AND 1 PRICE GIVEN TO SWITCH AND IT GETS HIGHER AND HIGHER, MAY JIM DONAVAN CHANNEL 3 PHILLY ON MY SIDE CAN HELP W/THIS PROBLEM! Eleanor DOraizo

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's not Verizon's job to remove "Comcast" from your computer. They switched your physical connection over to Verizon and did their job, and Comcast also did their part in removing their connection from your home when you asked them to shut off service. If you're stuck with the Comcast Software on your machine, tell us what exactly it is and we can help you remove it. Most of the time Add/Remove Programs or Remove Programs in the System Control Panel can be useful for removing any old Comcast software. For things such as the Internet Explorer Branding where things might say "Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Comcast," that is often a registry change that takes no time at all to apply.

0 Likes