Internet keeps cutting out every few nights, amber status light?
pittenger36

Hi, 

I plan on contacting Verizon tomorrow for this, but I figured more than one opinion wouldn't hurt. On average, every 2-3 nights my G3100's light will turn what I'm thinking is an amber-ish color. I am slightly colorblind so it's difficult to tell the exact color, but friends have told me that's what it looks like via pictures. Paired with this, my Internet will abruptly disconnect. This happens spontaneously, as some weeks it'll happen 5-6 nights a week while others it won't happen at all. Additionally, it'll usually happen repeatedly in an almost back-to-back pattern on the same night. The only factors that remain the same are

• It only lasts within the range of 1-2 minutes, no more, no less. When it occurs in the back-to-back pattern, the range between disconnects also ranges between 1-2 minutes.
  • It always happens at night. Almost always between 11:30pm and 12:30am, but tonight it happened at 4am and continued until 4:30am.

Now, I AM relatively tech-savvy. I'm a Computer Science senior and I'm working my way into the field of IT. Needless to say, I have tried the usual fixes, such as resetting anything to do with it (both the hardware as well as it's software settings), documenting my data usage both overall and at the time, what programs I was using at the time, what devices were connected, checking my plan settings for any clues, etc., and I can't figure it out. I can't even find any form of documentation online that relates to this amber (maybe orange) light's status meaning. 

Any help at all is appreciated, I do plan on calling them tomorrow but I have a heavy load this winter semester with a remote internship and two classes, both of which rely on my internet. While this does only happen at night, I prefer working on assignments late at night and this is decreasing my productivity a ton.

Thank you!

0 Likes
Re: Internet keeps cutting out every few nights, amber status light?
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since you are a computer science major, have you heard of Syslogs?

You can setup Syslogs on G3100 and you can see what’s going on with your router at times you lost Internet.

A better way would be just log into the router and go to Advanced > Monitoring > System Logs > WAN DHCP Log. I think your router lost WAN IP address during the night.