Internet keeps dropping
gsmax
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello everyone, 

3 months ago i got my own router to use with fios. it was google Nest router.  My connection start dropping alot. The laptop or my iphone doesn't get disconnected from wifi but they can't connect to internet. After 2 mins or so the connection start working again. Then i switched to Netgear Orbi and i had the same issue. Now i switched to Netgear nighthawk and i am experiencing the same issue. Every couple of hours i will lose connection for couple of mins. The wifi signal does not disconnect. I spent hours talking to fios support chat but all they do is reset the ONT and that doesn't fix anything.

Pls help. I really dont' want go back paying 15 dollars month to rent the router or pay the upfront 300.  

thanks 

0 Likes
Re: Internet keeps dropping
appDev
Contributor - Level 1

Could you provide more information -

1. what router?
  2. what package?
  3. TV or not? and if so, TV one?
  4. wired connection works?

Regards

gsmax
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

1. what router? netgearl nighthawk r7000p
  2. what package? 200/200
  3. TV or not? and if so, TV one? no tv. ethernet cable ont to router. 
  4. wired connection works? same issue
appDev
Contributor - Level 1

I was going to suggest replacing the router, but you've already been through several.

Unfortunately, the best suggestion i have (at least temporary), is to actually rent a router (once, to troubleshoot), and put it in front of your own. So ONT -> VZ router -> netgear. You don't need to use the wi-fi on the VZ one, the point is to eliminate potential causes.

Hope someone else has a better idea 😞

KHE1

I experience the same problem. Internet goes down intermittently, for all wired and wireless devices. Have to unplug and restart the Fios router to restore internet service.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

Read this article at the link below.

https://homenetworkadmin.com/dhcp-lease-time/

this may also be the problem as it was with another forum poster. Extend the lease time on the dhcp (look in owners manual) how to change the settings.

Additionally if you have SON set up turn it off it is more harm than good.

0 Likes