Internet on backup power

Internet on backup power

Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Internet on backup power

Message 1 of 3
(1,737 Views)

During a temporary power failure my FIOS unit contnues to operate providing telephone service on battery power. Also my gateway G1100 remains on because it has a seperate backup battery.  However, during these times when there is a power outage and the system is on battery backup, I have telephone servicee but no internet service. Why is that? Why phone but no internet ?

Thanks, Nigel

PS: The G1100 continues to be on but displays the red light indicating no internet connection.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: Internet on backup power

Message 2 of 3
(1,721 Views)

Backup power was only provided for phone to meet the 911 needs.

Even that has become optional.

So if you need Internet even when the power is out, you will need to provide a UPS (like an APC for PC) that covers your power input to ONT.

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Re: Internet on backup power

Message 3 of 3
(1,677 Views)

I have both my Router and my FiOS ONT plugged into a 625 VA UPS. Gives me about 90 minutes (maybe a little more) of internet usage with my laptop. Enough to take care of some immediate issues.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.