Internet-only setup using MoCA and personal(linksys) router
superCurious
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello!

I've been doing a lot of research on setting up internet-only fios service using my own router but I can't seem to find the answer to my question.

I live in an apartment complex where I get coaxial cable to my apartment. I currently have cable internet so I have a cable modem and a linkys router to provide wireless internet to the apartment. Fios has recently been installed to my complex (yay!) and I believe it's delivered to my apartment via the coaxial cables. I imagine running ethernet from ONT would be impossible.

I'd like to switch to Fios but I'd like to understand the equipment setup first. Can I provide wireless internet to my apartment by a Fios Network Adapter or Actiontech Bonded MoCA 2.0 Network Adapter to the coaxial cable in the wall. And then connecting the adapter to my router via ethernet. Would this setup work?

Here is a simple text diagram of the setup: 

ONT--> Coaxial --> FNA or Actiontech Network Adapter --> Ethernet --> Router --> WIFI --> Laptop

If not, is there a way for me to use my own router to provide internet-only Fios service without buying a Verizon Router (G1100 or G3100)? 

I've heard people using the Verizon Router as a MoCA bridge with their router but that seems redundant since they are both routers.

Thanks in advance! If you have any equipment suggestions to make this work, please let me know!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Internet-only setup using MoCA and personal(linksys) router
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

In a typical FiOS installation, the fiber optic cable is extended to the apartment. From there the tech will install an ONT and run ethernet to your Linksys router. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

In a typical FiOS installation, the fiber optic cable is extended to the apartment. From there the tech will install an ONT and run ethernet to your Linksys router. 

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Edg1 wrote:

I read/heard that is true of non FIOS TV installs.

I do not know for sure what happens if the user gets FIOS TV too.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Installs with TV will be pretty much the same except you need both coax and ethernet (if speeds over 100 mbps) at the router. You also need coax at each set-top box unless it is a mini. The can connect via wifi. 

superCurious
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you! I called the representative in charge of Fios for our apartment complex and it turns that they will need to install an ONT in our apartment.  It's not a shared setup. My assumption was wrong!

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If one gets FiOS TV, both Ethernet and Coax are used to the router. Coax for MoCa LAN to the FiOS Set top boxes, and Ethernet still delivers the WAN link.