Internet over ONT Ethernet
ehidle

I currently have Fios Internet and TV, but would prefer to have Internet come in on the Ethernet rather than the MoCA side of the ONT. This is because the Vz-provided Actiontec router breaks the VPN between my home and my office during re-keying and we haven't been able to figure out a solution for it.

I had the installer run the cable when my service was installed, so that's not a problem. What I need to know is:

1) Who do I contact to have the network changed from the MoCA port to the Ethernet port and

2) Will VoD/Guide still work if I use the Ethernet WAN on the Actiontec through my own router (which is an IPCop box)?

Thanks in advance

0 Likes
Re: Internet over ONT Ethernet
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

1st you would call tech support and ask them to enable the ethernet port.

Then as long as you have ethernet from the ONT to YOUR router, and then connect the verizon router to your router. you should be fine. Just make sure that YOUR router is any network other than 192.168.1.1. The Verizon router must remain on the 1.1 network so you will have to change YOUR routers network. If you have a Dlink or Netgear this should not even be needed as they are already on different networks. Routers like linksys are on the 1.1 and would need to be changed.

Re: Internet over ONT Ethernet
ehidle

That's what I thought, and thanks for the reminder about the subnet address. It's a non-issue though since my router is already behind the Actiontec and has a different network number.

I'll give them a call...

0 Likes