Internet seems to disconnect at same time every day
sljackson
Enthusiast - Level 1

My new fios internet (installed Tuesday) disconnects at 7 pm and reconnects at 12 noon the following day. It has done this since Tuedsay evening. I called tech support and they are sending someone out but I have to wait until next Tuesday because of the strike. While it's disconnected the earth light on the router turns red. Also the ONT box has a solid red fail light. It just reconnected at 12 noon today and I am currently using it.

It seems strange that it goes off and on at the same time. I am expecting a disconnect again tonight at 7.

Any ideas why this could be happening?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Internet seems to disconnect at same time every day
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@tomfoxudel wrote:

Mine has been doing the same thing. The outage only lasts 2 minutes, but it's still a near daily occurance. At about midnight the internet goes out, then comes back on again. Only tonight it happened twice in a row. The amount of down time was the same for both occurances though.

That behavior almost sounds like what sometimes happens when a DHCP lease expires and gets renogotiated. It would be a tiny bit interesting to see if your router has the same external IP address before and after the outage(s) occurs (occur). (It would only be a bit interesting, because the router often gets the same IP address returned when a lease is renewed.) If there was a way to see when the least expires on the external IP address from Verizon's DHCP server, you could be sure. I know how to get the lease times given by the router's DHCP server to devices on your LAN, but didn't see how you find out about Verizon's lease to your router.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I was going to suggest checking the parental control settings in the router. It can turn Internet access on/off on a set schedule. Normally, that's not set by default, but Verizon has been known to recycle routers. You may have been the lucky recipient of one that the previous "owner" set up. Perhaps do a factory reset on the router using the reset button on the back. (You may have to use a pen or bent paperclip if the button is recessed.)

It sounds like you may have something more going on though. I'm not sure what you mean by the ONT has a solid red fail light. My ONT is old - one of the very first Verizon used - and has no lights you can see without opening the cover (and mine is installed outside). The battery backup unit does have lights. Normally this is only one green one unless the battery in it fails. I've had to replace that a few times over the years. Could you posssibly mean the router?

Can you snap a picture of the red light and post it here? That would help a lot.

Assuming you get back on that is. It's after 7:00 PM (EST).

sljackson
Enthusiast - Level 1

Earlier yesterday, verizon surprised me by sending people over to look at my set up, but because it was after 12 pm, the internet was working and they said because it was working they probably wouldn't be able to see what was wrong. They checked my router settings and parental controls were off. They also had the idea that someone might be turning off the light switch where the ONT box is plugged in, but that was not it either. They are clueless as to what could be causing this. So they told me if it goes out again to call the supervisor directly so that he can send a tech over while it is off.

My internet disconnected again at 7 pm last night. I called the supervisor, but he didn't answer and he did not call me back today, nor has he sent anyone over today.  I went outside and took pictures of my ONT box while the internet was off and the fail light was solid red. My internet came back on again today at 1:30 pm.

0 Likes
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

As I suspected, your ONT looks nothing like my ONT. I have to open the cover just to see the lights. Mine looks exactly like the one shown in this Youtube video. It's pretty old, and is the second ONT I've had. (An even older one got bricked by Verizon during a failed attempt to reconfigure it.)

I tried to find a manual on yours, but none seems to exist. The fail light on my ONT means the ONT has failed. On yours, who knows? Could mean it's tired and hungry. If it was failing, it's unlikely that it would fail only during certain times (without some outside influence anyway). It's that behavior that's got to be making them scratch their collective heads. They're trying to find something that occurs about that time that might be the cause like something being switched off or on. I would be, too. I can't think of anything that would cause that myself. Fiber isn't influenced by crosstalk and line noise like DSL can be. I suppose there might be some repeater or similar device that's going off that's somewhere between you and the switching office. I would think there would be more people complaining. (I'd still try swapping out that ONT with another just to be sure it isn't the problem.)

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

That is one of the newer ONTs!

It sounds like there's a problem with the PON, or Fiber drop. If the Verizon FSC can access the ONT while it's lit "FAIL" that may clue into what the problem is a bit more. Otherwise, tech roll.

0 Likes
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Smith6612 wrote:

That is one of the newer ONTs!

It sounds like there's a problem with the PON, or Fiber drop. If the Verizon FSC can access the ONT while it's lit "FAIL" that may clue into what the problem is a bit more. Otherwise, tech roll.

I would agree the problem is along those lines, too. It's the whole about the same time every day that gets me. The fiber line can fail, certainly. It has a morbid fear of shovels and ditch-wiches. Failed fiber has a tendency to say failed. I can't figure out how it could fail on anything like a schedule. It's not like the neighbors can can look into the junction box buried out back and say, "Hey! This fiber is lit! Time to borrow that and get us some NetFlix going! We'll hook it back up in the morning .. to be nice."

If it was DSL, I would be looking for electrical interference from something like a big heating or refrigeration unit. I don't know anything that would affect fiber like that. Maybe it's the ONT itself? I don't think if you strapped the ONT to the side of the furnace it would have much of an effect. Again, though. Why at the same time every day? I keep thinking that's got to be a clue .. but I don't have a clue.

0 Likes
tomfoxudel

Mine has been doing the same thing. The outage only lasts 2 minutes, but it's still a near daily occurance. At about midnight the internet goes out, then comes back on again. Only tonight it happened twice in a row. The amount of down time was the same for both occurances though.

0 Likes
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@tomfoxudel wrote:

That behavior almost sounds like what sometimes happens when a DHCP lease expires and gets renogotiated. It would be a tiny bit interesting to see if your router has the same external IP address before and after the outage(s) occurs (occur). (It would only be a bit interesting, because the router often gets the same IP address returned when a lease is renewed.) If there was a way to see when the least expires on the external IP address from Verizon's DHCP server, you could be sure. I know how to get the lease times given by the router's DHCP server to devices on your LAN, but didn't see how you find out about Verizon's lease to your router.

0 Likes
Gagi1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Was this ever resolved? If so, what was the resolution. I am having the same problem. 

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.