Internet speeds are inconsistent or throttled
dantfamily

I am leaning toward ISP throttling as my problem:

Last year I purchased Verizon FIOS 200/200, replaced my router with latest FIOS version with a 1GB hub, replaced all cabling with 1GB cables, and the direct connect box on the outside was replaced by Version as well. Everything is new and tested by Verizon. I have been testing my bandwidth, lag, etc. using DSLReports and other speed tests using a laptop (new) directly connected via a new 1GB cable. I can test out at over 300mbs so the setup is good for the higher bandwidth. In other words, this is not an equipment, cable, or configuration issue. I am an IT engineer and know what I’m doing.

I cannot get consistent speed tests and the variance is extreme. I have seen speeds up to 325mbs and as low as <1mbs on either download or upload tests. The variance is most extreme during the hours of 5pm to 11pm.

I have recently been resetting my router via the Verizon troubleshooting website to ensure setup and configuration are consistent. In some cases, this has fixed the problem but less than 25% of the time.

Recorded speeds vary significantly using Internet tests and I am unable to determine why my Internet speed would vary by such a degree.

What Internet tools should I use to document the problem that can be submitted to register an informal complaint?

thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Internet speeds are inconsistent or throttled
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am sorry for the inconvenience, but Verizon does not throttle speeds.

Since you are using a Fios router, I suggest you to log into your My Verizon account and perform Verizon speed test. The speed test results are recorded and can be seen by service representatives. If you continue to have slow speeds, please contact support through social media channels at 24/7/365.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am sorry for the inconvenience, but Verizon does not throttle speeds.

Since you are using a Fios router, I suggest you to log into your My Verizon account and perform Verizon speed test. The speed test results are recorded and can be seen by service representatives. If you continue to have slow speeds, please contact support through social media channels at 24/7/365.

0 Likes
Dieog
Enthusiast - Level 1

Verizon is definitely throttling Fios internet traffic.

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes