Re: Internet speeds consistently slower than paid rate
gonebonanza1

Ping: 15ms

Down:  4.3 MB/s (didn't miss a digit), this is as slow as my former Verizon DSL 

Up: 41.1 MB/s

service ticket opened 3/8/15. 

0 Likes
takesurmoney

from some of the stories i've been reading on here. it seems only if you annoy verizon enough. daily tickets maybe, your issue will be fixed. the rest of us are still anxiously waiting for something to be done about the sluggish speeds.

0 Likes
gonebonanza1

Update for this lovely March 18 evening:

FiOS Service:

Ping: 17ms

Down: 8.2 MB/s

Up: 60.0 MB/s 

In better news on my Verizon Wireless cell; Verizon offered to let me out of my contract due to my poor signal provided to my area so cheers to them. They stated that I should get a high speed wireless service, to which i replied "well...about that, my FiOS service is poor" and he replied with a 'sorry to hear that.' They said no tower upgrades were scheduled in the next 3-6 months and gave me the option of leaving. Great! sadly i get better cell service in the middle of a desert where I work (about 30 miles from the nearest town) and right here in the thick of the city I get poor service, but, hats off to the Wireless side for giving me resolution and options within 2 weeks of my inquiry 🙂

So my FiOS saga continues, haven't had an offer to opt out of this contract yet...

0 Likes
philhu
Contributor - Level 2

Is that 4.7 MB/s or 4.7 mb/ps

See B means bytes, b means bits, so if you are saying 4.7 MBPS, you are saying 47 mbps.  You are paying for 50 mbps

gonebonanza1

I'm not quite sure how my situation was 'solved' when Verizon never actually did anything other than opening a ticket to say they'd look into it then never get back to me. Last I heard was an automated message saying "your issue has been resolved" which it hasn't been. 

To the persons question of bits bytes yada yada yada... I pay for 50 Mbps down and I get 12Mbps down.

Current awesomeness:

Ping: 15ms woohoo!

Down: 12 Mbps ....sad this is what 95% of consumers care about 

Up: 59.8 Mbps ...if only I uploaded anything...

So as far as I'm concerned as a Consumer it is not satisfying to get an automated message from Verizon saying my 'issue was resolved' when nothing actually was corrected or improved when compared to my service ticket opening to investigate in the first place. I'm not a difficult person, just tired of being ignored for what has been months while I continue to pay for marginal service. VERIZON; just give me a discount for my reduced service since you cannot resolve my problem!!

0 Likes
gonebonanza1

LOOK OUT! A NEW LOW!

Tonights amazing service (it took me 9 minutes to get the pages to load...):

Ping: 15 ms

Down:   6.1 Mbps
Up: .....hello? anything? zero point zero zero. it's. going. nowhere. 

So let's see here, started this issue on Feb 15 after already dealing with it for about 3 months so coming up on 6 months of Verizon ignoring the problem and taking no action, just sending me the automated message saying things were solved when nothing was done. Not even a call or email stating that they can't do anything and here's your 'op out' of your contract since we are inadequate. it's extremely annoying. I could put this money towards my retirement where i won't have to have internet. Just live in my Swiss cottage not having to deal with these idiotic contracts that give you poor service. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

The only thing any ISP guarantees is the speed of your local connection.

If you run to speedtest.verizon.net with a wired connection to your router and get the speed you are paying for, they have met their part of the contract.

Yes, getting off their network may be poor (which may or may not be their fault), but your contract doesn't cover that.

Just like TV content providers and cable providers squabble over price, the same is happening between Internet content providers and ISPs.

Content providers get a free ride across the ISP network to their customers. If the ISP raises its rates to cover additional infrastrucutre required to handle the increased customer traffic, customers complain. If the ISP refuses ti increase their connectivity to the content providers without some compensation, the customers complain about poor performance.

And the customer is the one stuck in the middle just like they are with TV service.

In the end, it is all about providers (content and ISP) trying to make the most money with the least amount of costs.

0 Likes
gonebonanza1

I'll make it short. Direct connect offers no improvement in speed. Remains at 7Mbps down tonight. There are other topics regarding the same issue in my same town.

Kudos will be given to Verizon when they answer to the service ticket they opened.  

0 Likes
test421
Enthusiast - Level 2

Netflix has a free internet connection? Wow...

Seriously though, they pay for internet just like we do. The problem is that Verizon isn't actually investing in its own network, its just shelling out its 90% profit margins to its shareholders.

None of this is going to get resolved until there is ACTUAL competition.

This of it this way. Netflix isn't pumping this data onto verizon without anyone asking. 

WE are requesting this data from Netflix. WE are looking to use our high speed internet service for streaming online video. And if verizon cannot meet the demand for bandwidth then they should be held accountable. Especially if its their hardware thats not being upgraded.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

@test42 wrote:

Netflix has a free internet connection? Wow...

Seriously though, they pay for internet just like we do.

Do a google search on netflix peering.

Both Comcast and Verizon had disputes with Netflix over bandwidth connections.

Netflix was requesting that the ISPs join (at their cost) Netflix's network that would offer greater service.

ISPs were refusing as they felt that it was only to benefit Netflix, not them. (read this article: http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/04/netflix-and-verizon-reach-interconnection-deal-to-speed-u...

Could Verizon do more. Yes. But as users consume more and more data, the costs will go up as they have to expand their network to handle the ever increasing traffic.

Doesn't come free.

0 Likes