Internet the connection is very slow using IE
GeoCar1

Using FIOS When I try to connect to the internet, using IE, itis very slow. If I do get on can't connect to hyperlinks. Email appears to be working.

0 Likes
Re: Internet the connection is very slow using IE
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Internet Explorer has a tendency to get bogged down and act very slowly.  you should test and make sure it's just internet explorer.  

So the easiest way in my opinion is to grab another browser like chrome.  Download and install and run it and then test it.  see if it's faster.   If it is I would recommend just switching to it as your primary browser, but if you REALLY want IE to work over another browser, then you would want to attempt to fix it. (click internet explorer, and then drill down to the appropriate problem) 

Or click here.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

While following the Microsoft KB Articles, definitely consider checking Internet Explorer's cache size. Set it to 8MB if it's set to some higher value. In addition, clear the cache. Try to run the browser as light as possible too, as add-ons tend to slow any browser down if they're not coded well enough. Toolbars, shopping helpers and coupon printers are well known to cause all sorts of weird issues with IE and other browsers.

Also, there are some deeper tweaks that can be done to IE to greatly speed up it's performance. I can talk about those later.

Oh, and be sure you have the latest version of Internet Explorer. If your machine is new enough to be running Vista or Windows 7, IE9 has some nice speed enhancements over 8 and 7. If you have Windows XP, make sure you have IE8 installed.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

the quick fix that I linked, does the following.  

What it fixes...

• Defective Internet Explorer add-ons. Disables defective add-ons.
  • Phishing filter is turned off. Turns the phishing filter on.
  • Pop-up blocker is turned off. Turns the Pop-up blocker on to block pop-ups.
  • Security settings are not set to recommended settings. Resets security to recommended settings.
  • Internet Explore does not update cached pages or updates them inefficiently, causing launch to be slow. Resets the page sync policy to automatic.
  • Cache size is too small or too big, causing slow performance. Resets the cache size to be within 50-250 MB of the default range.
  • Concurrent server connections set too low or too high causing slow performance. Restore IE concurrent connection settings to defaults.
  • Pop-up blocker is turned off allowing pop screens. Turns the Pop Up Blocker on.
  • Resets Internet Explorer security settings to the default (recommended) levels.
  • Enable the Phishing Filter.
  • Enable Data Execution Prevention for Internet Explorer

I find cache size, and Concurrent sessions accounts for a lot of the slowness of IE, plus the add-ons.