Internet through Coax
TechieWannaBe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello Everyone

Currently my verizon fios internet router is in my basement connected via coax.

I have a coax cable that runs into an office space I have above my garage.  The wireless signal in my garage is weak no matter where I position the router within my house.

Is there another device I can connect to the coax in my garage so I can get a solid internet signal?  There must be a way I can leverage that coax in my garage as opposed to trying to run a cat-6 cable into that space.  I've tried wireless repeaters in the past but I don't see them as very effective at all.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Internet through Coax
Hubrisnxs
Legend

you could get an inexpensive actiontec but you would have to configure it properly.

so follow these instructions

[PDF]

Configure MI424WR as a LAN MoCA Bridge - Actiontec

Keep in mind, the cheaper routers are older wireless's, so you won't get the wireless N or the 5ghz,  Those two features are pretty valuable, so the 75 might be worth it for you just for that alone, but you could get something a little more than half the price if you were flexible with older wireless G technology,

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend

Hi there,    If you have FiOS TV in the house, you can move the router to any room that has a hot fios tv outlet.  Just take the splitter with you, or get a 2nd splitter, and move the router to a more central location.

It will look like this in the room that you are at

Line in Coax from wall connected to two way TV Splitter (5-1000mhz or better)

1 leg of coax connected to the FiOS TV In on your cable box

1 leg of coax connected to the Coax outlet on the verizon router.

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

There are several ways you can utilize the coax connection in the garage to provide internet to your office.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15984

Actiontec has a newer device that has both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wireless that can connect to your coax: VZ has it for $75.

https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/DisplayDetails

It's the dual band wireless network extender.  It's called a wireless extendedr because it can extend your wirless network to an area that only has coax available.  It also has two ethernet ports available.

TechieWannaBe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you so much for your quick replies.

I need to leave my existing verizon router in my house so I have wireless coverage there.

If I purchase the $75 router you identify and install that in my garage, can the two devices exist?  Will it also extend my existing wireless network or will it be like a separate wireless network?

I've seen used Actiontec routers on eBay for $30 or so.  Can they be used as a less expensive solution?

Sorry for all the questions.  I will also read up on the dslreports link you sent.

Thanks again.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

you could get an inexpensive actiontec but you would have to configure it properly.

so follow these instructions

[PDF]

Configure MI424WR as a LAN MoCA Bridge - Actiontec

Keep in mind, the cheaper routers are older wireless's, so you won't get the wireless N or the 5ghz,  Those two features are pretty valuable, so the 75 might be worth it for you just for that alone, but you could get something a little more than half the price if you were flexible with older wireless G technology,

Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

@TechieWannaBe wrote:

Thank you so much for your quick replies.

I need to leave my existing verizon router in my house so I have wireless coverage there.

If I purchase the $75 router you identify and install that in my garage, can the two devices exist?  Will it also extend my existing wireless network or will it be like a separate wireless network?

I've seen used Actiontec routers on eBay for $30 or so.  Can they be used as a less expensive solution?

Sorry for all the questions.  I will also read up on the dslreports link you sent.

Thanks again.

If you get the wireless extender your router in the house needs to be a Rev. I with the red band or the extender will not work.

TechieWannaBe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Understood. Thanks.  I went ahead and purchased a Actiontec Router Verizon FIOS MI424-WR Rev. F off of eBay and will follow the instructions you sent and the ones on dslreports.

Hoping I can set it up properly.  Thanks again for your replies.  If you have any other advice, please send my way!

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@TechieWannaBe wrote:

Yes

Also will supply you with 4x100mb ethernet ports and if the wireless G signal that a cheap (read old) router gives you isn't good enough you can get a cheap new wireless-n router/wap that can connect to one of the ethernet ports.

TechieWannaBe
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks everyone for all your assistance.

I now have a second Actiontec router on my home network acting as a MOCA Lan Bridge.  All appears to be working - the wireless network and the LAN ports so no complaints.

HOWEVER, the LAN/ Coax light does blink at a steady pace.  I assume that means something isn't 100% correct.

Anyone have any suggestions or if I should address it at all?

Thanks again for all your assistance.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

That shows traffic on the the coax port