SOLVED
Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Internet through Coax

Message 1 of 13
(2,652 Views)

Hello Everyone

Currently my verizon fios internet router is in my basement connected via coax.

I have a coax cable that runs into an office space I have above my garage.  The wireless signal in my garage is weak no matter where I position the router within my house.

Is there another device I can connect to the coax in my garage so I can get a solid internet signal?  There must be a way I can leverage that coax in my garage as opposed to trying to run a cat-6 cable into that space.  I've tried wireless repeaters in the past but I don't see them as very effective at all.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: Internet through Coax

Message 5 of 13
(2,620 Views)

you could get an inexpensive actiontec but you would have to configure it properly.

so follow these instructions

[PDF]

Configure MI424WR as a LAN MoCA Bridge - Actiontec

Keep in mind, the cheaper routers are older wireless's, so you won't get the wireless N or the 5ghz,  Those two features are pretty valuable, so the 75 might be worth it for you just for that alone, but you could get something a little more than half the price if you were flexible with older wireless G technology,

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 2 of 13
(2,646 Views)

Hi there,    If you have FiOS TV in the house, you can move the router to any room that has a hot fios tv outlet.  Just take the splitter with you, or get a 2nd splitter, and move the router to a more central location.

It will look like this in the room that you are at

Line in Coax from wall connected to two way TV Splitter (5-1000mhz or better)

1 leg of coax connected to the FiOS TV In on your cable box

1 leg of coax connected to the Coax outlet on the verizon router.

Highlighted
Gold Contributor III
Gold Contributor III

Message 3 of 13
(2,635 Views)

There are several ways you can utilize the coax connection in the garage to provide internet to your office.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/15984

Actiontec has a newer device that has both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz wireless that can connect to your coax: VZ has it for $75.

https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/DisplayDetails

It's the dual band wireless network extender.  It's called a wireless extendedr because it can extend your wirless network to an area that only has coax available.  It also has two ethernet ports available.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 4 of 13
(2,629 Views)

Thank you so much for your quick replies.

I need to leave my existing verizon router in my house so I have wireless coverage there.

If I purchase the $75 router you identify and install that in my garage, can the two devices exist?  Will it also extend my existing wireless network or will it be like a separate wireless network?

I've seen used Actiontec routers on eBay for $30 or so.  Can they be used as a less expensive solution?

Sorry for all the questions.  I will also read up on the dslreports link you sent.

Thanks again.

Highlighted
Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 5 of 13
(2,621 Views)

you could get an inexpensive actiontec but you would have to configure it properly.

so follow these instructions

[PDF]

Configure MI424WR as a LAN MoCA Bridge - Actiontec

Keep in mind, the cheaper routers are older wireless's, so you won't get the wireless N or the 5ghz,  Those two features are pretty valuable, so the 75 might be worth it for you just for that alone, but you could get something a little more than half the price if you were flexible with older wireless G technology,

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Message 6 of 13
(2,613 Views)

@TechieWannaBe wrote:

Thank you so much for your quick replies.

I need to leave my existing verizon router in my house so I have wireless coverage there.

If I purchase the $75 router you identify and install that in my garage, can the two devices exist?  Will it also extend my existing wireless network or will it be like a separate wireless network?

I've seen used Actiontec routers on eBay for $30 or so.  Can they be used as a less expensive solution?

Sorry for all the questions.  I will also read up on the dslreports link you sent.

Thanks again.

If you get the wireless extender your router in the house needs to be a Rev. I with the red band or the extender will not work.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 7 of 13
(2,587 Views)

Understood. Thanks.  I went ahead and purchased a Actiontec Router Verizon FIOS MI424-WR Rev. F off of eBay and will follow the instructions you sent and the ones on dslreports.

Hoping I can set it up properly.  Thanks again for your replies.  If you have any other advice, please send my way!

Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII

Message 8 of 13
(2,581 Views)

@TechieWannaBe wrote:

Yes

Also will supply you with 4x100mb ethernet ports and if the wireless G signal that a cheap (read old) router gives you isn't good enough you can get a cheap new wireless-n router/wap that can connect to one of the ethernet ports.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Message 9 of 13
(2,500 Views)

Thanks everyone for all your assistance.

I now have a second Actiontec router on my home network acting as a MOCA Lan Bridge.  All appears to be working - the wireless network and the LAN ports so no complaints.

HOWEVER, the LAN/ Coax light does blink at a steady pace.  I assume that means something isn't 100% correct.

Anyone have any suggestions or if I should address it at all?

Thanks again for all your assistance.

Highlighted
Gold Contributor VII

Message 10 of 13
(2,481 Views)

That shows traffic on the the coax port

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.