Internet upgrade
LuBergen89

Hey guys so I've had Verizon services for over a year now, TV, Internet, and home phone, and in a couple of weeks a Verizon techinician will be coming over to change my internet from 75 to 150. I have the typical set up of a coax going to my router but I see that for speeds of 150 an ethernet cable is required to go from the ONT to the router.

So my concern has to do with distance between the ONT and router which are on opposite sides of the house. This new ethernet cable would have to come out from the garage to the outside of the house and go around the back of the house to the other side where the router is in the living room. There's already a bunch of coax cables wrapping around the outside of the house so it can just be fastened to those but is there a limit in length that they do and do they make holes through brick since 2 new holes would be required?

0 Likes
Re: Internet upgrade
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@LuBergen89 wrote:

Hey guys so I've had Verizon services for over a year now, TV, Internet, and home phone, and in a couple of weeks a Verizon techinician will be coming over to change my internet from 75 to 150. I have the typical set up of a coax going to my router but I see that for speeds of 150 an ethernet cable is required to go from the ONT to the router.

So my concern has to do with distance between the ONT and router which are on opposite sides of the house. This new ethernet cable would have to come out from the garage to the outside of the house and go around the back of the house to the other side where the router is in the living room. There's already a bunch of coax cables wrapping around the outside of the house so it can just be fastened to those but is there a limit in length that they do and do they make holes through brick since 2 new holes would be required?

100 meters thet is 330 feet.

I'm guessing they will suggest moving the router closer to the ont.

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm in the same situation... I use my own router so I have to use ethernet. Also, my router just so happens to be in my networking cabinet.... 135 Feet away on the opposite side of the house. I ran some Cat6 to it this summer (used 140 Feet of it), and it worked well.

A suggestion, would it be possible to run it inside the house? If I were to have ran it outside my cable would have had to be 300 Feet or more. But going though the inside, I was able to cut it down to 135 feet. That also saves the pain of drilling though brick (something I'm sure the tech won't be thrilled to do... twice...)

0 Likes
LuBergen89

It is technically possible to run it inside the house but then it would be visible especially considering it is in the living room on the first floor. I really don't want to move the router because the location right now is very accessible and it's in a very good spot where the basement, first floor, and second floor all get very good signal.

If the cable goes around the outside of the house it would definitely be less than 240 feet so I guess it really isn't all that long since this house is in the shape of a box. Now I'm beginning to think the biggest challenge is just making the holes through the brick. Perhaps I may have to make the holes myself and leave them ready for the tech and all he has to do is run the cable. Thanks for the help.

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No problem! If it is less than 240 feet on the outside then you shoulden't have a problem with Ethernet's maximum length.

Would be a good idea to drill the holes yourself... only wish I knew how myself haha would come in handy!

Best of luck, enjoy your new speeds.

0 Likes