Interruption of Wireless Connection while phone use
Mirage1060

I have been experiencing interruptions of wireless connection to my notebooks when we use a 2.4GHz wires phone.

I called the Verizon customer service about this problem, and they guided me through the changes of band channels.

As the service staff told me that the channel 11 is the best channel, we still have the same issue even though the signal

seemed to get stronger before in normal use.  Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Or should I change the Verizon wireless router?

Mirage1060

0 Likes
Re: Interruption of Wireless Connection while phone use
Justin46
Legend

Try other channels. 1. 6, and 11 are the most likely to not see interference, if they don't work try all of them. I have a 2.4 GHz phone 4 feet from my router, I use channel 1 on the router, no interference at all, been this way for probably 4 years (2 years with the Actiontec router).

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
xhitman88x
Enthusiast - Level 3

If it is possible, change the channel of your cordless phone to 1 and wireless router to 11. If the phone doesn't give you this option, I would simply purchase a new phone. Do not go for the 5.8ghz phones because they will transmit 2.4ghz frequencies from phone to base and still interfere. A DECT 6.0 (1.9 ghz) phone is the new type of phones. They are crystal clear and do not interfere with Wireless B/G technology.

0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@xhitman88x wrote:

If it is possible, change the channel of your cordless phone to 1 and wireless router to 11. If the phone doesn't give you this option, I would simply purchase a new phone. Do not go for the 5.8ghz phones because they will transmit 2.4ghz frequencies from phone to base and still interfere. A DECT 6.0 (1.9 ghz) phone is the new type of phones. They are crystal clear and do not interfere with Wireless B/G technology.

HUH??? Whacha talkin about Willis?

5.8 Ghz phones transmit at 5.8 Ghz, not 2.4. Hence the 5.8Ghz. The only wireless transmission is from the handset to the base and that is the frequency that the phone is rated for. There is no other transmission on the system.

Edit:.  Ok, I did some research and found that SOME 5.8 phones transmit 5.8 from the base to the handset and then 2.4 from the handset to the base. However, Most do not. The ones that do this is to save on battery life of the handset. Most transmit on the 5.8 both directions, but there are some that do use the 2.4 on the return. So you do have to look at the phone before you purchase to see which it is.

As for the problem the thread started on. You've got the reason, the phone and internet work on the same frequency. The channel changes can help but are not a solution. You may find a channel that reduces the drop offs and many people do find that this is an acceptable work around, some even reduce it to the point of it not being an issue anymore. BUT the underlying problem is still there. Every device responds differently to the interference problem. The ONLY solution is to change the phone to one that works on a different frequency. Since the wireless internet cannot change frequencies, changing the phone is the only solution. The other options are all workarounds and bandaids. If your lucky they may help, but if your like me, your not that lucky. Smiley Tongue