Invalid IP adress message
Baxter-md

I am trying to connect a Toshiba laptop running Windows 10 to my internet and I keep getting a message that I have an invalid IP address.  The internet is working for all of my other devices.

I'm not sure what IP address the laptop is using.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Invalid IP adress message
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Also, got to the task bar and type in (the "Ask me anything" box), network, and bring up the Network and Sharing Center. Click on the Change adapter settings link.

For each adapter listed there (likely two with most laptops - one for wired Ethernet and one for wireless):

1. Double-click on the adapter to bring up the Ethernet Status dialog
  2. Click the Properties button
  3. Click on the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) title (Click the TITLE, NOT THE CHECKBOX - unchecking the check box disables the protocol.)
  4. Click the Properties button to bring up the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties dialog
  5. Make sure that both the Obtain an IP address automatically and the Obtain DNS server address automatically radio buttons are selected.
  6. Click the OK button to save changes
  7. Click the Close button
  8. Click the Close button (Yes, there are two 🙂 )

Try it now. Repeat for all adapters. I don't know how many times I've set my laptop to use a fixed IP address on the wireless adapter while on travel and forget that I did that when I got back home.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

@Baxter-md wrote:

I am trying to connect a Toshiba laptop running Windows 10 to my internet and I keep getting a message that I have an invalid IP address.  The internet is working for all of my other devices.

I'm not sure what IP address the laptop is using.

In you laptop click on wifi networks, look for your own network, click connect. The it will ask for the password. Enter it exactly and then click continue. If correct the laptop should connect to your network.

you could also click on networks and then click on each one and select forget network. Restart your laptop and then go back to networks and do a scan of networks.

select the SSID of your network select connect again and do what I said above.

good luck

0 Likes
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Also, got to the task bar and type in (the "Ask me anything" box), network, and bring up the Network and Sharing Center. Click on the Change adapter settings link.

For each adapter listed there (likely two with most laptops - one for wired Ethernet and one for wireless):

1. Double-click on the adapter to bring up the Ethernet Status dialog
  2. Click the Properties button
  3. Click on the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) title (Click the TITLE, NOT THE CHECKBOX - unchecking the check box disables the protocol.)
  4. Click the Properties button to bring up the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) Properties dialog
  5. Make sure that both the Obtain an IP address automatically and the Obtain DNS server address automatically radio buttons are selected.
  6. Click the OK button to save changes
  7. Click the Close button
  8. Click the Close button (Yes, there are two 🙂 )

Try it now. Repeat for all adapters. I don't know how many times I've set my laptop to use a fixed IP address on the wireless adapter while on travel and forget that I did that when I got back home.