Is Actiontec Rev F better than Rev E for 801.11b/g?
newdaddy
Enthusiast - Level 3

My area only has 20/5, so getting a 801.11n router (such as Actiontec Rev F or Rev G) is not going to change the internet speed, at least on paper.

But, today, I borrowed a friend's 802.11n router and had it piggybacked on my Actiontec Rev E. Surprise, surprise. Using speedtest.net, I could clearly see a boost in the download speed of about 30~50%!  So while my 20/5 package is too slow to accommodate a 801.11n protocol, at least it looks like I can gain siginificant speed by getting a different router.  

So, is Actiontec Rev F going to deliver such speed boost in Wifi?  Does Verizon let you change your routers? (At least they make you pay for Actiontec Rev G, but all I'm looking to do is to upgrade to Rev F for now.)

0 Likes
Re: Is Actiontec Rev F better than Rev E for 801.11b/g?
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Presumably you ran speedtest from a wireless connected device which may show a speed gain because of the faster connection to your internal network?

Why bother trying to pay for a Rev F Actiontec.  Why don't you just go and buy a decent router that fits your needs and add it into your home network.

0 Likes
newdaddy
Enthusiast - Level 3

@viafax999 wrote:

Presumably you ran speedtest from a wireless connected device which may show a speed gain because of the faster connection to your internal network?

Why bother trying to pay for a Rev F Actiontec.  Why don't you just go and buy a decent router that fits your needs and add it into your home network.

I wasn't plannning on buying Rev. F. I was hoping Verizon would upgrade my router for free.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

we've had bad luck getting upgrades to routers.  they do a like for like return exchange thing.  people have gone through endless hours and frustration trying to circumvent that process with limited success.   

It's probably better to look on ebay for a REV I or buy one from verizon.  It is dual antenna, True wireless N (not pre-n) and has gigabit ethernet ports. 

https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/

0 Likes